What's new

Ok now I'm complaining

Zog1971

lol system shut down during system restore. Had to re-do the system restore cause not confident it did it properly. Now finally after 3rd try, this is my first real system restore without it shutting down early, lucky I had an extra fridge that was empty I could put it into!

Automatic Updating seems to be taking it's sweet time kicking in!
Dude, if you have to put a device in the refrigerator to get it to update, something is very wrong. I have NEVER had had the thermometer error or a thermal shutdown in the 2 weeks of owning my i7. And, it has definitely got very warm with the fans blazing. See if your refresh takes, but if not, I wouldn't hesitate to take yours back for an exchange. Refrigeration should not be required. :)

OP
Y

ynohtna

I've had it very warm earlier this week too (1hr long vid conf call, had to minimize vid here and there to get back some cpu to be able to do some other concurrent stuff) and it never shut down. It's all just today when things started getting really nuts with Bluetooth and other things... and first time I really saw a thermostat icon when I did the first of 3 system refresh.

On the updates, I forced checked and saw the firmware listed again! this time I installed only that first to get that out of the way. How do I confirm the actual firmware number of the Sp3? Each system restore I did, it shows the aug 19 firmware update listed.

Going to let it sit and see if it auto installs anything else or maybe I'll just selectively do a few at a time.

The good thing is no unusual shutdowns yet but I'm taking it easy on it now :D

bryanhayn

Mine got the thermometer and shutdown during a recent firmware update. I just let it cool down then turned it back on and havent had a problem since. A Google search revealed this happening to many other people.

OP
Y

ynohtna

There seems to be a real issue with changes not applying depending if you do restart or shutdown.

Like I was trying to change the RDP port, and if I go with shut down and turn on again, the PC is still listening on the old port not the new port as shown in the registry. If I did a restart instead of a full shutdown then it switched to the new port I defined.

I had been choosing shutdown because it seems my mouse cursor doesn't just disappear as often. (Performance MX Logitech) and yes, I still had a boot up where my mouse cursor disappeared. Like you can still move and click on things but can't see the normal arrow cursor. You can see it if it changes shape when on the edge of a window for example. I can say this is one good thing about my Lenovo Helix as that never happened on it with 8.1 :)

gdir

There seems to be a real issue with changes not applying depending if you do restart or shutdown.

Like I was trying to change the RDP port, and if I go with shut down and turn on again, the PC is still listening on the old port not the new port as shown in the registry. If I did a restart instead of a full shutdown then it switched to the new port I defined.

[•••]:)

I haven't got my SP3 yet, but I guess it comes with 'Fast Startup' enabled. That means when you shut it down it discards only the user processes, but hibernates the system processes. When you start the computer after that, it doesn't do a full clean boot, but resumes the system from the hibernation file.

In contrast to that when you choose to reboot instead of shutdown, you will get a full clean boot.

Normally, having fastboot enabled is fine. Even with SSDs it's slightly faster than a clean boot. Nevertheless you have to be aware of the consequences. If you don't like, you can disable fast boot in the control menu.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I better do another refresh now than forcing myself to do again next week! :D I'm assuming you set automatic updates and let it do it's thing?
Once they were downloaded and ready to install. I punched the install button. I didn't install any of my apps until after all update went in. After it restarted I checked Windows Update again. I believe there was one more to do maybe two ... disregarding Defender updates which can happen multiple times a day.

From what I've seen so far after getting a good 8/19 firmware install, the temp issue may be resolved at least under normal circumstances for me. however, an ounce of prevention... as they say...

OP
Y

ynohtna

So I'm leaving my computer on for the night, did my usual ctrlaltdel to lock it....

Come back after a while and the fan is going hard, back is hot, I unlock, task manager, boom 0% cpu usage and things start settling down.

What's going on? Oh wait, just had a thought, indexing?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes you have to wonder if all the *optimizing* is really accomplishing anything tangible or if its just a bunch of stuff that sounds good.

Last edited:

scfoster

Odd....that particular keyboard uses a dongle and not Bluetooth, all of my Logitech Unifying Hardware works well on Windows 8.x and SP3....

For Bluetooth, I;m using the Wedge Keyboard and Mouse without issue while connected to 5GHz Wireless and 2.4GHz Miracast....

Don't mind me.... had a particularly bad week, so I should have had a few beers and relaxed before making any comments on any board. o_O

Decided to take the SP3 i7 back to the MS Store (just a few miles from me) and exchanged it for another one. So far so good. This is the 5th SP3 (3 i5's and 2 i7's) so hopefully it all works. Can't imagine how MS expects to eventually make a profit if they have to keep swapping hardware. To their credit, they are very accommodating and make the exchange with zero questions.