What's new

onenote audio recording quality *urgent

Okay so I recorded a lecture for class with my surface pro 3 using OneNote 2013 desktop version. When I play it back I cannot understand what the professor was saying because the quality is so bad. I cannot find quality settings in one note at all. Also when I went to move the audio file it was only around a half a megabyte for a 1.5 hour lecture. Maybe that's why the quality sucks. Can someone give me input on how to fix it. And is it possible to make the quality better on the past lectures?

Thank you!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The array MICs are pointed at you and are designed to pick you up, you may need to invest in a USB directional MIC to improve the quality....

Zog1971

This is good to know as I was planning at some point using the One Note audio to record lectures. Please let us know if you find ways to improve the audio quality. Thanks!

OP
T

thejoker1993

It baffles me that an 1hr 30 min recording is less than a megabyte. If i record via my iphone with a different app than it would be like 400 mb.

foghat

something is not right there. I just did a test recording of me talking for 20 seconds. It was 264kb.

What is it like if you just do a test where you are talking?

I used the desktop version of sound recorder

Edit. K, i tried it in onenote as well. was only 38kb for about 20 seconds. still sounded fine though. maybe try a mic. or try use sound recorder and just insert that file into one note.

Last edited:

tonypitt

I record my lectures via USB microphone. I use one of these: http://amzn.to/1AsaEip It is a bit pricey, but I have not found anything close at a reasonable price to capture excellent audio. It will only capture my voice, though. I also have one of these that I occasionally use: http://amzn.to/1tofv1F With this one I'll plug it into my computer and use it as a USB mic. My classrooms have array mics in them as well, but I found the audio to be so noisy as to be unusable.

When I was using these devices with Windows 7, I had to make no adjustments at all. With Windows 8.1 on my SP3 I did have to make changes as the first couple of recordings I made were so low in volume it was hard to hear. I simply plugged the device in, and then went down to the system tray and right clicked on the speaker icon and chose Recording Devices. From there I found the device I was using and viewed its properties. On the Levels Tab I maxed out the slider. Problem solved.

I record my lectures and desktop using Camtasia, but the audio capture adjustments above should help with any audio capture software.

I see now that the OP is not the lecturer. I'd still recommend making the audio adjustments noted above to see if it improves the volume of the capture.

OP
T

thejoker1993

I can't see sticking a mic into the usb drive. I might as well record with my phone. The mic is on the front for the sp3? Can anyone find the recording settings in onenote 2013 desktop that deals with quality. I can't find aynthing.