What's new

OneNote 2013

JesseDiaz

SO now that I finally got a Surface, I thought I'd start a thread specifically for OneNote 2013 so we can discuss likes, dislikes, and best practices.

Ive been using OneNote for about 2 hours and heres what I don't like about it ( at least I can't figure out how to do it )

When you attach a PDF in page layout and annotate on it, you can't just send that annotated PDF to someone. It has to be in the OneNOte format or the whole notebook needs to be shared
You can't send just a page from your page layout
When you layout your PDF, you can't just use the arrow key to go to the next page ( or swipe with your finger ). You have to go to the right hand side to pick a page
'

Also does anyone know of any good tutorials for OneNote 2013? Videos, books, classes, etc

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From the File Tab you can export the page as a PDF....

If you go to the Office Web Site there are tutorials on how to use OneNote, the team also has a pretty good blog. I've been using OneNote since Office 2003....love it

OP
JesseDiaz

JesseDiaz

From the File Tab you can export the page as a PDF....

If you go to the Office Web Site there are tutorials on how to use OneNote, the team also has a pretty good blog. I've been using OneNote since Office 2003....love it

Thank you so much!! I really want to use OneNote to its max

joshuava

I have an interesting question. I keep writing in OneNote and then realizing that I really wish I would have made that a different color... is it possible to select the text and be able to change the color instead of having to rewrite it?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have an interesting question. I keep writing in OneNote and then realizing that I really wish I would have made that a different color... is it possible to select the text and be able to change the color instead of having to rewrite it?

Using the 2nd button lasso the inked text and then right click and select Pen Properties and you can change the color and thickness.

OP
JesseDiaz

JesseDiaz

Ive been looking everywhere but cant seem to find the answer to exporting a page and all its subpages into one PDF.
Thanks to jnjroach I was able to export one page so I tried to export the main page thinking it would automatically include the subpages but it didn't. Is there no way to do this? How would you select multiple pages to export? Hope this isn't the answer since some of my docs are 100s of pages long.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can export single pages, sections or whole notebooks.... if your workflow is going to be importing and exporting, I would do each in its own section or switch to DrawboardPDF (works amazing on the SP3).

OP
JesseDiaz

JesseDiaz

You can export single pages, sections or whole notebooks.... if your workflow is going to be importing and exporting, I would do each in its own section or switch to DrawboardPDF (works amazing on the SP3).

Thank you so much.....I downloaded the trial and then went in an set it as the default app to open PDFs. Now I attach files to OneNote so when I open it, Draftboard PDF comes up and I have those features too... so I think I'll be using both of them. Thanks

By the way, if you have subpages... click on the carrot symbol on the right of the page main page ( not one of the subpages ) and it will turn grey. When it does, all the subpages will be selected and when you export to PDF, all the pages will be exported

OP
JesseDiaz

JesseDiaz

Thank you so much.....I downloaded the trial and then went in an set it as the default app to open PDFs. Now I attach files to OneNote so when I open it, Draftboard PDF comes up and I have those features too... so I think I'll be using both of them. Thanks

By the way, if you have subpages... click on the carrot symbol on the right of the page main page ( not one of the subpages ) and it will turn grey. When it does, all the subpages will be selected and when you export to PDF, all the pages will be exported

Ahh...came up with a SNAG! I was so excited to get Drawboard working with OneNote that I didnt think that Drawboard would not ba able to save the file back since I had the PDF as an attachement to OneNote! Damn! So now I have to figure out the best way to do this...Im leaning toward having a link in OneNote with it pointing to a file in OneDrive?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know the Drawboard team is looking at adding the save back t OneNote on then roadmap.

Rugbyguy541

Since this seems to be the OneNote help thread, I'll throw something in! So far I am loving one note. My one question is, once I have my PDF's in one note, how can I set it so the PDF is flattened into one note, and can't be selected. I commonly am writing over stuff, and my hand on the surface will select the PDF and try to move it.

scottysize

I uninstalled the OneNote App today and switch to using OneNote 2013. Yes, there's a big big difference between the App and 2013. I'm happy with 2013. I couldn't find crap in the App.