What's new

Onenote V17 v Onenote 2013

TheCudder

Just wondering...why do you like OneNote? What do you do with it?

I've looked at it a few times and I don't get it. If I want to make handwritten notes, I'll get a piece of paper. I'm not trying to be dismissive. I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.

I use OneNote for:

• Cooking Recipes - I have a dedicated and shared notebook that my girlfriend and I put recipes in. I have my old Surface RT sitting on the kitchen counter & I'll load the recipes from there when it's time to cook.

• School notes - I type faster than I write, so as I'm reading I'll type my notes my notebook separate by class. I'm able to annotate, highlight, organize & re-organize these notes.

• Work - to do lists and meeting notes. (not synced with my personal account)

• Military Reserve - meeting notes.

• Other random tidbits - Information from friends, rewards account ID's, storage codes, web content I've sent to OneNote for reviewing later and so on.

OneNote seems like a useless tool if you have no purpose for it, I ignored it for years and when only used the very basics of it initially, but discovered that it's a really power tool if used properly. The notes are saved to OneDrive, they're saved automatically as you enter them & the OneNote app is available on PC, Windows Mobile, iOS, Android & the web.

radji

I imported one of my textbooks right into Onenote (pdf import, one chapter at a time).
I can then transcribe whatever is written on the board onto each page I need it (certain examples on their corresponding lesson's pages). To me it's almost like using a regular printed textbook. Only I have to scroll to the bottom of the page or the next page. Not a big issue considering I can always correct my notes and make changes without having to use whiteout anymore. :D

Mandos

I tend to think the best usage is where you take a photo of something and then add notes over the top. Be it a whiteboard presentation, a slide from a tutorial or a printed diagram.

Take the photo, insert it and then add whatever notes you need to make over the top, perfect for planning sessions or recording discussions during training sessions.

Quite hard to do with a notebook as well :)

eholbik

For me OneNote is invaluable tool. I am not the most organized person and this program has helped me both professional and personally.

Here are some of the ways i use it.

#1. Shared Folder/Notes--- I have documents that my sales team and operations team must fill out on a weekly basis. They have access and update the documents that are embedded & organized on each sheet. Each user can input additional notes/comments.

#2. Internal memos/Announcements-- Instead of firing off emails., I have a TAB for Announcements/Memos, etc. Employees must check the shared notebook for the information. Any important news is posted there and is updated constantly.

#3. OfficeLens App-- a great app to use with One Note. Using my phone, i can take pictures of whiteboards at meetings, scan documents, or scan receipts and all its all located on place for easy reference.

#4. Meetings/Seminars---- I enjoy writing my notes vs typing.

#5. Personal Shared Folder/Traveling Info-- I have a personal notebook, where i post my travel plans/hotel reservation/rental info/plane tickets----- i love how easy it to clip from the web or from other emails and organize a sheet with all the information. Since i have onenote app on my cell phone, it allows for quick access to all info if my SP4 is not available.

One note was a gamechanger for me.....

Sent from mTalk

jedge

OneNote is a killer app for me. I've been using it for 1o+ years.

1) OCR. You can insert any document into OneNote that you can print. And it will OCR it for you.

2) Search. EVERYTHING is indexed. And fast. I have so much information built up by now, that it's like having my own personal Google.

3) Universality. Create separate notebooks. They'll all be available on practically any device. Android has supported OneNote most of it's life and is great. iPhone took a bit more time but now it works great. PC, no problem. Web browser, eh it works in a pinch. The trick is, create separate notebooks but only keep the ones you need on the device(s) you need it on. For example, my Work notebook is HUGE so i don't even try to sync it to my iPhone. But my ToDo/ToBuy notebook is small, so I sync that.

4) UI. I like the user interface better than Evernote, Noteability, etc...

eholbik

OneNote is a killer app for me. I've been using it for 1o+ years.

1) OCR. You can insert any document into OneNote that you can print. And it will OCR it for you.

2) Search. EVERYTHING is indexed. And fast. I have so much information built up by now, that it's like having my own personal Google.

3) Universality. Create separate notebooks. They'll all be available on practically any device. Android has supported OneNote most of it's life and is great. iPhone took a bit more time but now it works great. PC, no problem. Web browser, eh it works in a pinch. The trick is, create separate notebooks but only keep the ones you need on the device(s) you need it on. For example, my Work notebook is HUGE so i don't even try to sync it to my iPhone. But my ToDo/ToBuy notebook is small, so I sync that.

4) UI. I like the user interface better than Evernote, Noteability, etc...

Yes,

1. Absolutely the best feature & huge time saver.

3. Creating separate notebooks is key. I also had an issue with syncing when my work notebook got too big. I created a smaller work notebook with only the docs/notes i need to access on my phone when away from the office/tablet. The ability to share some notebooks with employees -- amazing.

Check out the Onetastic addin for Onenote--- i want to try out the macros

Sent from mTalk

The OneNote v17 that you are referring to is Office 2016 or the Mobile Version. Office 2016 is an evolutionary upgrade with more polish and usability over the earlier versions. If you are talking about the Mobile Version, I use both the desktop and mobile version depending on what I'm doing.

I tend to use the Mobile Version when I'm going to on battery for long periods of time.

I have Office 2016, but when I go to the Store and search for OneNote it tells me it's already installed and points to my Office 2016 version. How do I get, find the "mobile" version?