What's new

Out of Memeory Display Port

null4end

I recently upgraded my external monitor to an Acer 28" 2560x1440 connected through the dock via Display Port. With this setup, I frequently get "Out of Memory" errors when resuming from standby and the monitor will not work. If I turn the monitor off and on it starts working again.

I didn't have any issues with my old setup which used a 1080p monitor connected through the Dock via Display Port to DVI.

It looks like I have plenty of memory available, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Anyone else seeing this?

daniielrp

I recently upgraded my external monitor to an Acer 28" 2560x1440 connected through the dock via Display Port. With this setup, I frequently get "Out of Memory" errors when resuming from standby and the monitor will not work. If I turn the monitor off and on it starts working again.

I didn't have any issues with my old setup which used a 1080p monitor connected through the Dock via Display Port to DVI.

It looks like I have plenty of memory available, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Anyone else seeing this?

What's your virtual memory set as?

OP
null4end

null4end

I have 5120 MB of Virtual Memory and it is configured to automatically set it. I have a 4GB SP3.

It doesn't seem to be related to what if anything I have running on my computer when it goes to sleep. There are times the only application running is Lync. Other times, I have several IE tabs, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel all running.

It also never happens while using my computer, only when resuming from sleep.

I found the setting under System - Advanced - Performance Settings - Advanced if anyone else is looking.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering if there is an associated event log entry and what may be reporting the OOM condition.

surfdock

Can you capture a screen shot of the out of memory error? Also can you please run "dispdiag.exe" from the command-prompt and save the .DAT file immediately after this occurs? Post that up on onedrive or something and perhaps we can try to see what is going on.

The following is by no means an official recommendation or anything so use at own risk etc etc. but it may be quite helpful for diagnostic purposes:

Try installing the very latest Intel.com display driver rather than the default surface driver as follows:

• Download the 3960 driver: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24348/a08/win64_15367.zip
  • Unzip the driver and use the "Have Disk" method to force install over the default Surface Pro driver
  • start Device Manager
  • expand - "Display Adapters"
  • Right-click on the Intel HD Graphics entry and select "Update Driver Software"
  • click "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • click "Have Disk"
  • Browse to the unzipped driver driver folder \Graphics\igdlh64.inf or similar
  • Click "Open" then "OK" then "Next"
  • After the driver installation completes, reboot
With this new driver, see if you can reproduce the issue.

Last edited:
OP
null4end

null4end

I disabled the "Intel Display Audio" mid-day yesterday and so far haven't seen the error but I don't think I have a large enough sample to say that it is fixed yet. I just tried that because it was another change that was introduced when I switched to the new monitor using Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort.

I believe this is a related error from the Application Event Log based on the time: "The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898008d)". There is not anything in the System Event Log from that time.

I forgot to mention that I already installed the 3960 driver over the weekend to see if it would help and did not see any change in behavior other than some screwy issues where it doesn't always remember the resolution of my external monitor. I need to either go to Screen Resolution and change it or dock and undock my Surface for it to remember the correct resolution and position of the monitor.

I'll run the dispdiag.exe and upload it later today and take a screenshot the next time I get the error.

Thanks for the advice and help!

OP
null4end

null4end

Switching to a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to see if it makes a difference. I didn't think I would be able to get the full resolution from this configuration but it works fine.

I'll report back after I've used it for a day or so.

OP
null4end

null4end

I've managed to make it worse somehow. Now my SP3 reboots when I come out of sleep... I might have a full system reset coming in my near future.

OP
null4end

null4end

I have some positive news. I changed to a 3rd cable (Monoprice Part #9473 "3ft 32AWG Mini DisplayPort to HDMI® w/Audio Cable - White" $6.78) and I'm not seeing the issue for the last 48 hours. I guess what others have said in previous threads about the dock being sensitive to certain cables is true.

I'll report back again and mark this as solved if I can make it through the rest of the week.