What's new

Overheating fix that worked for me.

Rowan

A few weeks ago I reported here about being concerned with overheating. I think I have a fix, for some of the surfaces at least.

My model: I5 128gig

My surface was constantly running hot to the point where I couldn't even hold it while doing normal tasks like reading the nook app. The fan was so loud I had people complain about it my class when I was taking notes in one note.

So I asked here and didn't get anything concrete (although some suggested some good ideas). The problem was inherent in the background applications that were constantly running. When idle my surface was running at 25-30%. I couldn't figure out how to stop all these processes and keep my apps.

I went to the university computer guy who gave me a tip. He recently installed over 1000 computers with a program called CCLEANER, which used to be called crapcleaner. lol. He said that for some reason that program was incredible at solving background process problems. I downloaded it and another free program called speedfan so I could monitor the core temperatures and the RPMs on my fan.

I ran CCleaner and its registry fix (located in the same program) 3 times before it said there were no issues on the registry.

Ever since I did that my tablet has never gotten over 38 C and the fans have never turned back on.

So here is my conclusion: If you were like me you were SOOOOOO excited to get your surface and you downloaded many apps from the store and loaded all the software that you wanted. Unless you monitored all of your installation settings you created a massive log of background processes that were running all the time. This I what I did and this, ultimately, I believe was the cause. Fortunately I found a fix that works for me. I hope it works for you. Good luck.

OP
R

Rowan

Oh and for clarification I run CCleaner when I open my surface every morning. Takes about 30 seconds and I have not had a problem since.

ctitanic

You should not getting that many broken registry keys that often. But anyway is something that I use and do periodically and if works for me.

Capture.JPG

It has been recommended here:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/guide-all-about-battery-life.10374/

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might depend on how many Store or other Apps you try out and delete. It seems Uninstalling has never been real thorough.

ctitanic

Might depend on how many Store or other Apps you try out and delete. It seems Uninstalling has never been real thorough.
Correct, and the system spend time and resources trying to use those broken links.

Another app that you may want to consider is:

Capture.JPG

But be careful with this one because sometimes it delete too much for my taste and you have less control.

malberttoo

What are the options that you guys select/ deselect in CCleaner?
I personally only the registry cleaner part of it, preferring the do the rest (boot options, disk cleanup, etch) manually as needed.

I have also used it for years, I'm not sure if ever to "fix" a problem, but really glad it worked for @Rowan though. I usually use it in the course of cleaning up a PC.

kristalsoldier

Thanks. I use CCleaner too, but only on my desktop machine. Maybe I'll try the registry element on the SP3...or maybe not...since there is nothing that I can see is wrong with my SP3 at the moment.