What's new

Patch Tuesday Today

Deryl McCarty

In my case the patch arrived and was installed except for the firmware update. That downloaded ok then installed (so it reported) and then went into restart mode. The restart hung for two hours so I manually shutdown and restarted. It again hung up on "we are installing firmware on your computer", so I again had to manually shutdown and start. This time no hang-ups, but neither was there a "we are installing firmware" page. I checked my windows update page and discovered that the firmware update "failed" to install, though all of the rest of yesterday's patch installed successfully. My Surface Pro needs this love but I cannot find the firmware patch to re-download. Help?

tonyz3

In my case the patch arrived and was installed except for the firmware update. That downloaded ok then installed (so it reported) and then went into restart mode. The restart hung for two hours so I manually shutdown and restarted. It again hung up on "we are installing firmware on your computer", so I again had to manually shutdown and start. This time no hang-ups, but neither was there a "we are installing firmware" page. I checked my windows update page and discovered that the firmware update "failed" to install, though all of the rest of yesterday's patch installed successfully. My Surface Pro needs this love but I cannot find the firmware patch to re-download. Help?
See my Yellow triangle Question thread. I am living that dream rt now, had to do a restore pt and start over, currently trying to get the last one thru,

Deryl McCarty

Okay, I experimented enough to answer my own problem. Here is what I found.

(1) TonyZ3's triangle question was the key to finding out how to have my Surface Pro recognize that it needed to update the firmware after failing the first time. I opened up the device manager, saw the firmware aggregator (aggravator???) triangle, right clicked on it, uninstalled it, told it to remove the device from my computer and restarted.
(2) I went to the Windows Update in control panel, asked it to see if any updates were available and "aha!" the firmware update was identified and downloaded along with a note that it would Restart and install. The first time I said yes, I failed again and the restart hung up without installing. So I went through (1) and (2) again, but this time I reasoned (why? I am not sure) that perhaps the firmware update expects a barebones or "as delivered" machine on which to install the software and I have pretty much every output hole in my surface full - USB (Hub with 5 devices), MiniDisplay (MDA) Port and SDXC slot (SDXC 64GB). So,
(3) I disconnected EVERYTHING that did not come with the machine and tried again (all gone except the Type Cover). The update downloaded, told me it would restart, it did, the "updating system software" showed under the word SURFACE on the startup screen, stayed on for about a minute, then re-re-started normally and when I checked the Device Manager and Update history all was right with the world. Firmware update successful and Device manager showed no triangles of any color.
(4) I did a shutdown, re-filled my USB, MDA and SDXC ports, restarted, came back to this forum and wrote this.

Hope this helps someone else.

ArnoldC

I got it on my RT...

Edit:

Weird, I saw it listed along with another one. Copied the link and posted it here, didn't read it.

Now I checked the RT and it's not there for obvious reason.

Sorry guys!

Edit:

But my RT Windows Update said it installed 2:15pm today!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Last edited:

FFX

What KB does it have? The update description, talks about better battery and more goodies!

pallentx

I haven't found anything exciting in this round. My Surface RT hung applying updates - I had to force a power down after 4 hrs of it saying do not power off installing update 11 of 11. After it came back up, it continued updating and required around reboot. Now everything seems to have finished successfully.