What's new

Pens intermittently stop working

saa

Sorry, didn't search before posting this and cannot find the delete. :(

Hello,

We ordered 21 Surface Pro 4s for work. 3 or 4 of them have an issue where the Pen stops working intermittently requiring me to open the pen and close it again before it works. 1 will just stop working for a short time even after replacing the battery.

Any one else having these issues?

saa

Yes, I have had the same problem with my pen on Surface Pro 4 for the past year. I've tried everything including unscrewing and removing the battery (which works incidentally). But I think I've discovered the cause and solution! It seems that static electricity builds up in the pen as you are using it, causing interference to the battery inside the pen. The quick solution I have found is to simply attach the pen briefly to its magnetic home on the side of the surface (be sure to release your hand once). I'm not sure, but I think this somehow removes the static charge. You are then able to use the pen again. It's a bit annoying but is the only quick workaround I have found. Hope this helps.

edalsie

Static electricity??? Sounds to easy... and right on point!! It makes sense! Thank you. I can hardly wait for my pen to stop working again.

saa

My pleasure. Also, I should add that sometimes you may actually need to put the pen down on the desk away from your hand and the surface. I've found that I need to do that in winter. I'll be interested to see if this works for others.

OP
A

awwshoot

We still have this issue but far less than we used to. All our SP4s are in the Kensington Black belt cases so when this happens again, I will have to try the magnet on the keyboard instead. Others at time also set their pen at the top of the Keyboard and screen. those users also have not had this issue except when the battery was over a year old.

Really nice to have Pen battery percentage back with the recent updates to help rule out dead battery!

Also have been fighting random double and triple taps with some nurses which another forum member tracked to users holding the pen by the rear cap instead of holding it properly. I tried it out and as they stated always received a double or triple tap when holding the pen incorrectly. Spoke to those nurses and they acknowledged they do grab the pen by the end cap at times so that problem is also solved.