What's new

Play MKV's on Surface

R0bR

Have you guys seen the Yxplayer RT and PressPlay Video? Both play MKV...

Yxplayer RT has no trial option, also a one star rating so hard to purchase blindly based on that. I couldn't get Pressplay to play an MKV file, it starts to "process" and takes forever, I ended up just quitting. Other than the DTS issue Mobile HD could play my MKVs. Of course there is always VLC which by latest info they are indeed targeting RT, its just the wait now.

R0bR

Ok, I've been doing quite a bit of testing with Mobile HD and my many MKVs. A majority of them work, both DTS and non, but some don't work either just get a black screen or a message saying can't play file. Also, its great that it supports subtitles but there needs to be a way to turn them off, if they exist they will display by default. I'll have to go through my non working MKVs and get details of them and email the developer to see what could be causing the issues.

R0bR

I did some testing with Pressplay and chose one of my lower bitrate MKVs 720P about 4.5GB that didn't play in Mobile HD. It had to process the file which took just over 45 minutes but it did play, however the playback wasn't too smooth. Once the file is processed it loads instantly on subsequent plays but still, I don't want to have to wait that long to just play a movie.

MSurfaceWA

You can turn subtitles off. When a movie with subtitles is on, you just need to press the screen, and on the the right hand side below the speaker is a an icon with an upside triangle and 3 lines or its an x. That button will toggle the subtitles on and off.

R0bR

You can turn subtitles off. When a movie with subtitles is on, you just need to press the screen, and on the the right hand side below the speaker is a an icon with an upside triangle and 3 lines or its an x. That button will toggle the subtitles on and off.

Ah, is that where they hid it, not to obvious but thanks. A check box next to the subtitles settings would seem logical. :)

Veeny

Are there any recent updates about being able to play MKVs on the Surface? I want to get one, but I watch alot of Japanese anime with subtitles & I want to be able to see the subtitles & hear the sound well. While we were at Best Buy, we bluetoothed an MKV video & tried to play it with one of the free apps there, I think it was called PressPlay or something. It played, but the quality wasn't 100%, it wasn't bad, but not great quality. Is there still no app for VLC available? We do not mind paying for an app.

nuprotocol

Are there any recent updates about being able to play MKVs on the Surface? I want to get one, but I watch alot of Japanese anime with subtitles & I want to be able to see the subtitles & hear the sound well. While we were at Best Buy, we bluetoothed an MKV video & tried to play it with one of the free apps there, I think it was called PressPlay or something. It played, but the quality wasn't 100%, it wasn't bad, but not great quality. Is there still no app for VLC available? We do not mind paying for an app.

I watch tons of Anime on my Surface and it all works fine and plays in its 1080p glory with subtitles if you purchase and use Mobile.HD. It's so far my best purchase from the app store. B/c I gotta have my anime fix as well. lol

Veeny

I watch tons of Anime on my Surface and it all works fine and plays in its 1080p glory with subtitles if you purchase and use Mobile.HD. It's so far my best purchase from the app store. B/c I gotta have my anime fix as well. lol
Awesome! I am excited now. :) I heard earlier in the thread that it didn't work well... but I guess with the updates it works great now. Thank you!

nuprotocol

Awesome! I am excited now. :) I heard earlier in the thread that it didn't work well... but I guess with the updates it works great now. Thank you!

It had a problem with some mkv's but played most. That issue was very very early, b/c they fixed it 6days after that.

phxchristian

Pressplay is a great option and it's free. It does take a while to convert the mkv

Ddf