What's new

play music from android phone

rsacher

Surface pro3 and samsung galaxy 4 phone.
i have tons of music on my phone that i would like to play through my surface without copying the files to my sp3.
whats the best way to connect the devices so surface can see and play music stored on phone?
bluetooth? wlan? direct usb connection?
which player on surface is capable to do this?

primarily i want to do this as the tablet has larger screen.

thanks!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've not tried this for the reason that it makes no sense to me. I certain;y don't understand your primary reason for this.

That aside, no reason all of those shouldn't work. You could share the files via the likes of a file explorer app and just access as a network share from the windows machine, or you could plug it in via usb and use it as an external disk, or you could just buy a usb stick or microSD card and put the music on there.

But as i say, i'm confused by your reasoning for doing this. It's music, not video.

OP
R

rsacher

thanks..
my primary reason is to have a greater screen to search, play, list music files on a tablet as on a phone.
second reason.. everyone in the room could make his fav music visible on his own phone and have it played via my surface.
ideally...

leeshor

Here is a suggestion. On the phone, subscribe to Google Music and it can upload all your music to the cloud, (20,000 files are free), then they will be available on any device, including your Surface by way of streaming. This also works really well if you have that music on a PC as there is an app that will find all the music, iTunes or others and copy it all to the cloud.

There are some country limitations.

nipponham

You can sync your music via the cloud and access them via dedicated apps but you'll need Wi-Fi access for that. Other than that, the easiest way would be to physically connect via USB and have SP3 read the phone as an external device.

carp969

There are plenty of upnp server apps in the play store. Install one of those and it should so up in both Explorer and media player.

silkrooster

Here is a suggestion. On the phone, subscribe to Google Music and it can upload all your music to the cloud, (20,000 files are free), then they will be available on any device, including your Surface by way of streaming. This also works really well if you have that music on a PC as there is an app that will find all the music, iTunes or others and copy it all to the cloud.

There are some country limitations.
Same with Amazon Music. I don't recall how much they store on the cloud, but it is an option.