What's new

Power Cover Charging Quirks

be77solo

I had run the battery down on my power cover to about 20% . I attached the charger to charge it up overnight and left the computer running because I had read here that the battery might not charge up fully while shut down. Well, the power cover did not charge at all last night. I had to reboot this morning to get it to start charging. Obviously there are some quirks in the firmware to be worked out.
Pass that along if you don't mind over on the answers.microsoft.com boards... all I got over there when commenting on power cover charging issues was user error on my end ha

mtalinm

Mine charges only when the Surface is powered on. sheesh.

Curious, when you have it in the dock, does your Power Cover charge when the SP2 is turned off? Apparently for some reason the Power Covers (some, all, no idea?) aren't charging when the Surface is turned off and plugged in... only when it is on or in sleep mode.

Mine charges right up to 100% when it is turned on, just won't charge when turned off. Seems there's a thread on it over on the MS boards as well with similar issues.

mtalinm

Just did a rundown test under my typical usage (Office, music, browsing, some statistical analysis). 3:50 until the Power Cover read 0% and the SP2 battery kicked in. Not bad.

mtalinm

Just did a rundown test under my typical usage (Office, music, browsing, some statistical analysis). 3:50 until the Power Cover read 0% and the SP2 battery kicked in. Not bad.

Of course then my SP2 auto downloaded another "update" and my external monitors ceased to work... sigh.