What's new

Power drain question

kristalsoldier

Hello,

I was wondering what are, potentially, ALL the sources of power drain on the RT?

I know if you have wifi on all the time that drains power. Live tiles maybe? What about other things? Bluetooth? Anything else?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Any thing that keeps a connection in the background will reduce battery life. Your screen brightness is the biggest culprit for battery drain though...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Background processes that access S0iX (Email, Apps you've given permission to run in the background). I see about 10-15% drain overnight typically. I find that even if you shut it down there is still battery drain, found out because my wife doesn't use her surface very often unlike my son and I and I need to remember to charge it at least once a month.

gpstrucker

Everything you mentioned drains power. The screen is the biggest power drain though, if the screen is max brightness (when it's on) it drains faster. Turn off everything you aren't currently using to conserve power. Not using wifi at the moment? Turn it off. Same with Bluetooth.

GreatWindows

Windows 8/RT even when the device is turned off it will continue to update live tiles etc.. That is why you get a battery drain at night. If you shut down the tablet over night completely then you will have no battery drain at all.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks guys. Points noted. The question arose because I saw what I thought was a significant drain of battery over the night. Since I have been using the Wedge mouse, which involves Bluetooth, I attributed the drop in battery power to that. But, as you folks have pointed out, there are other reasons - live tiles being one big drain (in my opinion). This is an interesting conundrum. To conserve battery turn off live tiles (among other things). But if I turn off the live tiles, then one of the most significant advantages of having an interface like that of Win 8 (RT in this case) is largely defeated.

ArnoldC

If I don't shutdown my RT, I turn on airplane mode. Works for me.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

BWepp

I would say that in the past week (after last Tuesday's update?) I am getting significant power drain overnight - like 30-40%.