What's new

Pretty disappointed so far

sashlon

A disclaimer: I never liked Windows 7, or Vista, or XP. I used them, but never enjoyed the experience. Windows Phone and Windows 8, and then 8.1 are the first OS Microsoft ever made that I liked. I fact I loved 8/8.1.

I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface Pro.

I'm not loving it so far.

I feel like its a huge retrograde step so far. A lot of what made Windows 8/8.1 great on a touchscreen has been either compromised, or completely removed. Where's the touch IE? I can no longer swipe up to access app functions. Instead I have to try to hit a tiny button in the app title bar. Or resort to either my pen, or a mouse. I can't dismiss apps with a swipe either.

Now I'm aware they're going to add lots of stuff to this early preview. But as it stands right now, its a disaster for Windows tablet users.

I'm buying a new computer in February. I sure hope they've improved this by then. I was strongly considering getting a Surface Pro 3. Now I'm totally second guessing that. If I was going to the store today, right now, to get that new system I'd probably get a cheap laptop and a 128GB IPad instead. And I despise iOS. But, its TOUCH FRIENDLY.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This tech preview is focused on the desktop the consumer preview later will have the touchy feely tablety stuff.

macmee

Apple is updating iPad mid October, you might want to hold out until them if you're serious about that.

Also, my favourite was XP. I switched to OS X after that and continue to prefer OS X to Windows, but I think Apple stopped being innovative with the iPad, and I think the Surface line has improved in every aspect that it needs to with every new iteration, the one exception being that it's too expensive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This tech preview is focused on the desktop the consumer preview later will have the touchy feely tablety stuff.
In other words, its a Tech Preview with heavy emphasis on Preview. Don't be confused by the missing pieces. Previews at the theater don't show everything and neither does this.

Although, if you look around or even just read some of the threads here you may find answers to your questions, if you want them.

Yeah, it's called a tech preview for a reason; it's not the final product.

I'm actually preferring the Windows 8.1.1 way of multitasking with apps/gestures as of now, but remember this is just the Mouse/Keyboard mode, they've not implemented the Tablet mode yet with Continuum. Here's hoping the tablet mode brings back that single gesture multitasking and app switching...

You should send that complaint to Microsoft if you're actually using the Tech Preview. That's what the Windows Feedback app is for; to give feedback and shape the final product.

OP
sashlon

sashlon

Oh I've been sending feedback.

I get that its not finished. I guess I'm just a bit frustrated.

bluegrass

I upgraded a Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10. I like the what they've done but I would like to be able to jump to the new MUI without changing a setting an rebooting. I assume that you all know you can run MUI just like in 8.1 if you change a setting so that it boots to the Start Menu instead of the desktop, but you do lose the Start Button if you do it.

This isn't the first complaint I've seen about this, is my Sp3 the only machine that, upon install, was DEFAULTED to tablet mode?

Nope. On my SP2, it also defaulted to the start screen. It probably detects if your PC has a touch screen in order to decide whether to default to a start menu or start screen.

r0b123

I hope they bring Continuum for Windows 10 TP users on Surface devices. I like my Surface 3 and this option to switch between tablet and desktop mode would be fantastic.