What's new

Privacy light on?

Musiker

Hi all,
I am the relativily happy owner of a S3 4GB/128.. Happy because it handles desktop programs better than I had hoped for (Visual Studio and Eclipse are atcually usable ;)).... Not so happy because it does have some glitches, that I hope will be solved with software updates over time (where do one best report bugs to MS?)..
Most annoying is that some times the camara privacy light turns on and can only be switched off by a reboot.. If I try to open the camera app it says that there is a problem and wont open..
Another side effect is that it seems to prevent the surface from entering sleep states (I.e. it use the battery over night)..
Anyone else had the same issue? I have been looking for a culprit in processes and also tried to reload some of the device drivers, but either I haven't found the right one or it won't do the trick..

OP
M

Musiker

Last night after posting this, I discovered that there was a bunch of optional updates in Windows Update.. I installed them and have not yet seen the issue again.
I'll let you all know how it goees after a few days..

OP
M

Musiker

Ok just happend again. Closed typecover this morning and now when I opened it now the privacy light is on al the time.. and camera app states that "camera is in use by another App"...
I'm getting paranoid :)
EDIT: Oh and normally when I have had the typecover closed for hours, I see the surface load screen when openening. When this happens I just go straight to lock screen.

Clintro

So when you open the cover the surface turn on normally? I want this? Mine turn off the screen when I close it but when I open it I still have to use the power button or hit a key to turn it on.

OP
M

Musiker

No I also have to hit the power putton, but when the error happens it's going directly to lock screen, where as when the error is not happening I have to wait for the surface load screen before it reaches Lock screen.
The side effect is that it seems like the surface do not enter sleep with the error happening and thus burns through the battery...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok just happend again. Closed typecover this morning and now when I opened it now the privacy light is on al the time.. and camera app states that "camera is in use by another App"...
I'm getting paranoid :)
EDIT: Oh and normally when I have had the typecover closed for hours, I see the surface load screen when openening. When this happens I just go straight to lock screen.
LOL - off topic. Just made me think of Motel 6, we'll keep the light on for ya.