What's new

Surface Go for Modern Web Development? Battery Life?

Brad

I have a good desktop workstation at home, a work notebook, and as of right now I have a Surface Laptop (8/256). I have been really curious about picking up a Surface Go (8/128) for ultimate portability, potentially replacing the Surface Laptop. I am curious if anyone has used it for doing some light development? I wouldn't necessarily use it for full blown Visual Studio (although it would be nice for some basic projects) but would mostly be running Visual Studio Code, with some other modern web dev tools (node, etc). I know the screen real estate isn't ideal but for the portability its an expected trade-off.

Also, how is the battery life? A friend of mine had one at launch and wasn't really impressed. I'm curious if it has improved with updates since then? I would think it wouldn't measure up to that of the Surface Laptop but curious if it would be anywhere close.

Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a good desktop workstation at home, a work notebook, and as of right now I have a Surface Laptop (8/256). I have been really curious about picking up a Surface Go (8/128) for ultimate portability, potentially replacing the Surface Laptop. I am curious if anyone has used it for doing some light development? I wouldn't necessarily use it for full blown Visual Studio (although it would be nice for some basic projects) but would mostly be running Visual Studio Code, with some other modern web dev tools (node, etc). I know the screen real estate isn't ideal but for the portability its an expected trade-off.

Also, how is the battery life? A friend of mine had one at launch and wasn't really impressed. I'm curious if it has improved with updates since then? I would think it wouldn't measure up to that of the Surface Laptop but curious if it would be anywhere close.

Thanks!
It should do OK with a lightweight IDE like VSCode or ATOM...battery life would be 4.5-5 hours while coding

mrw55825

Thanks!
I'm trying to make a version control website with nicely rendered syntax highlighting when files are viewed on the web, but my users keep downloading the HTML that renders the syntax highlighting instead of the raw files. How do I make right-click -> "save as" do what you would expect? codein.software/technologies/vue-js.html

So far my best option is to override the right click via $(this).bind("contextmenu" ...) and put up a custom menu with my own "save linked file" option, but this requires also re-implementing the other right-click options, such as open in a new tab, open in a new window, etc, and open in the new window gets blocked by pop-up blockers. Is there some hack with forwarding headers that I can do to make a non-js link behave the way I am looking for? best Python courses

Last edited: