What's new

ProcThrottleMax, Powercfg setting

echizen

From all I've read the problem with the SP3 seems to be the heat throttling and it looks to be controlled by something other than the CPU. This could be a option to get past it just don't you crazy and take it to the max. Maybe take it to a 75 degree before throttling instead of 70? Might be a good option in combo with undervolting or max processor limits. Although this would be a riskier affair than other options.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyway just a thought. Will give it a go cautiously and very slowly when I get my sp3 next week.
My advice is don't do it.
I don't expect that to stop you but maybe it will keep someone else from doing it.

If you believe though... you might try voodoo... probably as effective as undervolting. :)

mitchellvii

Ive used Throttlestop on my i5 ultrabook for years with zero problems. It keeps your cpu pegged at whatever level you like. Im running it right now on my i3 SP3 and while speed is pegged close to 1.5 ghz, temps have never gone above 63c and the fan rarely runs.

Definitely improves performance and does not appear to cause heat issues. I only use it when on AC.

Throttling on the SP3 isnt to save from heat. Its to artificially improve battery life. But if you are on AC who cares?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Battery life would be an additional but not primary reason. Prior to the 8/19 firmware it would go into Thermal Throttling when the CPU/GPU temp hit 90C with combined power draw at 25+w in turbo just for the CPU/GPU.

It appears the SP3 could dissipate a sustained 15w @ 85-86C CPU/GPU temp. although many would complain of the heat. :) That could also drive a slightly higher failure rate.

I think operating at 76C the performance difference would be slight (<= 10% est.) compared to the SP2.

mitchellvii

I agree that 90C is getting downright toasty for a handheld device. Running the i3 don't think I ever got anywhere close to that and of course the i5 in my ultrabook has more robust cooling.

Anyway, if I had an i5 SP3 I'd give Throttlestop a test with the app's temp monitor open on the right while I surfed the web, etc on the left to see how temps go. On the i3 I'm never getting above 63C maxxed at 1.5 constantly. I would think the i5 might be ok too. The i7 might get toasty but you can set max speed to like 80% of turbo if you like.

From what I've read, the problem is not just throttling at high temps but SEVERE throttling. This app would tend to limit that in a good way.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything from before 8/19 is invalid, the new firmware changes the characteristics.

However, the laws of physics still apply... there's no free power.

Cothek

Everything I've tried with ThrottleStop has not worked. Throttling still happens even with ThrottleStop on.

On a different note I have created a fan to mitigate power throttling and it seems to be working. I tried placing it in different places but thanks to cbutters and his video I placed it on the side. Here is Warband running without the fan:
08-26 MBWB Balanced.png

Notice that the power throttling is nearly 100% for a good portion of the time and the TDP is around 12W.

Here is Warband with the fan:
08-26 MBWB Balanced Fan.png

The power throttling gets to about 60% max, and that was after the bulk of the battle had finished, but also the TDP stays around 16W! The max I've seen the proc pull is 17W.

Here's a pic of the fan in the shroud I designed:
IMG_20140827_114238[1].jpg

I'll upload a shot of it on the SP3 soon. The nice thing is that the fan runs very quiet but the bad part is that I have to power it using USB.

I re-ran Firestrike and got around a 650 with the fan:
08-26 Firestrike Balanced Fan.png

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, seems MS is reigning in the wild west with this latest Firmware.

Patiently waiting for them to finish their product. :) maybe by October or December...

malberttoo

Everything I've tried with ThrottleStop has not worked. Throttling still happens even with ThrottleStop on.

On a different note I have created a fan to mitigate power throttling and it seems to be working. I tried placing it in different places but thanks to cbutters and his video I placed it on the side. Here is Warband running without the fan:
View attachment 3377

Notice that the power throttling is nearly 100% for a good portion of the time and the TDP is around 12W.

Here is Warband with the fan:
View attachment 3378

The power throttling gets to about 60% max, and that was after the bulk of the battle had finished, but also the TDP stays around 16W! The max I've seen the proc pull is 17W.

Here's a pic of the fan in the shroud I designed:
View attachment 3379

I'll upload a shot of it on the SP3 soon. The nice thing is that the fan runs very quiet but the bad part is that I have to power it using USB.

I re-ran Firestrike and got around a 650 with the fan:
View attachment 3380

I like the fan, good job! :D