What's new

Undervolting Snakeoil Works

Compusmurf

Loan yours to me for a week or 2 to test it against my workload. I'll promise you'll have a use for it. (and if it's got over heating issues, I'll find them too).

Now, where's that waterproof Surface pro 5 or 6 so I can do my work from IN the pool....

ctitanic

Loan yours to me for a week or 2 to test it against my workload. I'll promise you'll have a use for it. (and if it's got over heating issues, I'll find them too).

Now, where's that waterproof Surface pro 5 or 6 so I can do my work from IN the pool....
Don't get me wrong, This is my main home PC. Use it for every thing I do. But I don't run heavy tasks on it. I connect remote desktop to a more powerful desktop when I want to use handbrake.;)

Compusmurf

From 8:30am to 5:30 pm, sometimes later, it also doubles as my work pc. Occasionally I'll run 2 VM's on it as well instead of just the 1. (XP and Mint Linux) That's when the I5 really shows the struggle. With DuOS installed, I also have my android tablet running on it so I don't use my android tablet much. Toss in bitlocker and VPN, add all that together and she puts out some heat!!!!!

I wasn't joking about the waterproof model. My phone, my keyboard, my mouse are waterproof/water resistant. I just need a computer that is and I truly WOULD work from the IN the pool. Working from home IS nice.

ctitanic

From 8:30am to 5:30 pm, sometimes later, it also doubles as my work pc. Occasionally I'll run 2 VM's on it as well instead of just the 1. (XP and Mint Linux) That's when the I5 really shows the struggle. With DuOS installed, I also have my android tablet running on it so I don't use my android tablet much. Toss in bitlocker and VPN, add all that together and she puts out some heat!!!!!

I wasn't joking about the waterproof model. My phone, my keyboard, my mouse are waterproof/water resistant. I just need a computer that is and I truly WOULD work from the IN the pool. Working from home IS nice.
No wonder you have heat "issues"!

Compusmurf

LOL, well, I don't buy things to baby them. If it can't handle everything I throw at it without "blowing up", it's not worth my time, effort and $. Knock on wood, the Pro 2 with it's dual fans has been mostly able to keep up with the demand I place on it. Undervolting to a safe and reliable level just helps a slight bit more.

I'd really love the Pro 3 with I7, but there's way too many folks with issues for me to place my trust there yet. A few random folks might be insignificant but watching MS's support forums, reddit, and quite a few other places it seems far more than just a "few random folks". I'm getting the feeling MS might have pushed the envelope a bit to far for the I7 models. My wife's 3rd gen I7 pumps out the heat and it has large fans and heat-sinks, I can only imagine what's going on inside the super thin Pro 3 with the i7 and that dinky fan. I find it hard to believe that some engineer didn't think to put it under heavy load to see what would really happen.

Anyway, back to the subject, undervolting. Don't go overboard or you will crash. CPU/Graphics will undervolt quite a bit, uv on the memory too much and it's a sure recipe for a blue screen.

ctitanic

Well, to be honest I would never recommend the i7. I always said that the i7 was too much for that little fan and the thin body. And I was right. To me the sweet spot is the i5 with 8Gb of RAM.

Compusmurf

lol, right where my Pro2 is. i5, 8gb, 256gb storage and a handy usb3 1tb portable drive full of various virtual machines.

OP
M

megatronium

Using my profile, I have yet to get a higher temp than 75celcius and freq doesn't drop below 2.19ghz. I'm now using Nero Platinum to burn my disk to an image which is also a CPU intensive task - nice and steady.

dman27

I have used a -55 profile without any issue. But I don't have any use for it.
In my tests, you can quite close to -55 for CPU and CPU Cache undervolting, but if you change graphics to anything close -30 or so, it will freeze on graphic intensive processes.

Basically to test stability on any changes, run the CPU stress test for more than 5 minutes, THEN... run the graphics stress test for more than 5 minutes.

If the machine doesn't lock on either, it May be stable with the undervolting.