What's new

Re-installing English Windows not possible on Scandinavian devices?

MortenK

Hi everybody,

I recently bought a Surface Pro 3 in a electronics shop in Sweden. When setting up the device, I I found out I couldn't choose English version of Windows 8.1, only Scandinavian versions.

I downloaded an English language pack, and now my Windows 8.1 is a terrible mix of English and Danish.

I was in touch with a service rep through MS support live chat, who gave me a link to a 6 GB recovery image, which I downloaded and extracted to a Fat32 formatted USB drive. On the drive, it looks to have all different languages (there's folders named en-gb en-us etc).

However, when I boot from the USB stick, I still only get the options of choosing one of the 4 Scandinavian languages.

I then contacted MS support again, and this time, the guy said that because the "hardware was swedish" it was not possible to install US or English Windows on it.

I simply can't believe this is true. Surely it must be possible to install an English version of Windows, on a device bought outside UK / US?

Hope somebody is able to help, the device seems so nice, but is unusable for me at the present time. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Morten

Tobias Hjorth

Isn't the recovery part only in Scandinavian. I believe you choose whatever langauge AFTER complete recovery. The recovery part is in Scandinavian languages only though :)

Stockholmstar

Under regional/international in Control Panel, chose "Administrative" tab. Copy settings to user account and welcome screen. That should do it. I have anglified my machine and so far haven't seen any Swedish left.

OP
M

MortenK

Thanks for the answer everyone. I did already install the language packs, but it's still a mess of English and Danish. I'll have to live with it I guess, but will try Stockholmstar's suggestion also. Thanks again!

Stockholmstar

It should work for you. So far, the only place I have some Scandinavian lingering is here:

Otherwise it is English everywhere. (Really funny though with "loud speaker" both in Swedish and Norwegian, as I don't have the latter installed at all)

upload_2014-11-30_21-36-34.png