What's new

Remote Desktop App

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From the screen shot I don't see RDP forwarding enabled unless you've changed the RDP Port in the registry of the Windows 7 machine, RDP uses Port 3389 by default.

OP
ARosch

ARosch

So are you saying I should change the inbound port and private port 2626 to 3389? Or should I create a new entry with the Inbound port and private port as 3389?

On a side note, when having it set as 2626 I was able to connect to the host when I used the name of the computer but not the IP address. I need to be able to connect via the IP address so that when I am not home I can connect lol.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can use whatever public port but the address would need to reflect that as in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2626 in the connection string have that forward to 3389....

OP
ARosch

ARosch

I don't understand. Are you saying I need to change the private port to 3389? Then I would connect with xx.xxx.x.xxx:2626 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you use 3389 on both, it should just work, if you want to obscure the Public Port, use 2626 on Private Port keep it 3389, now the string would like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2626 where xxx is the IP address values. BTW I hope that isn't really your public IP address in the above post :)

OP
ARosch

ARosch

Okay so I have it set up like this:

2v94qh1.png

And when I try to connect via xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3389 it does not work and I get an error. It still works when I use the pc name and I am on the same wifi connection.

Edit: And no that is not my IP address lol

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are using the default port, you don't need to append the port number, so the string would be your public IP Address so xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Lolvo

Been reading through some of these threads, trying to get RDC set up for myself. I have an inherent flaw though - no router. My home's connection comes straight from a Comcast Xfinity modem, and is not relayed though any router. All our home devices connect directly to the main hub.

I've no idea where to go from here, I can't access the administrative page for the modem via IP. Will I need to relay the connection to a wireless router and then set up RDC?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That will be an issue, you may want to look at something like SplashTop or TeamViewer as it runs a client on the host.

Lolvo

That will be an issue, you may want to look at something like SplashTop or TeamViewer as it runs a client on the host.

Since that post, I have set up a linksys wireless router, and am now running both my PC and Surface from that connection. I am still having trouble setting up Remote Desktop, though. I'm hoping you can help me solve what I've done wrong, Jeff. I want to be able to remote into my PC from both my home network and when I'm out at school.

Here's a shot of my current router settings:
2062f3d80c2472b4b39fac33e46489de.png
16a59d996db772f07110b529a16909d3.png
adf82438cad648015db19558fe92e76b.png

DMZ was disabled by default, but after failing to get RDP to work, I enabled this setting and entered my PC's IP (the PC I am trying to remote to). No difference.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. It still asks me for credentials when I try to connect (and I've tried using both the device name and IP when connecting), and nothing I've entered has worked. I am on a local account on my PC. I also do not know where to enter the figure xxx.xxx.xxx:3389?

I've never messed around with this, never had the need to, but it's stumped me for the moment. I can provide as many details as possible, if needed.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On the Internal Network you should be able to connect just via the 192.168.1.100. On the external network you need the Public IP address of you modem (Click on Status) and then you put that IP Address in the connection string (since you are using the default port you can just use the IP Address). The Host needs to be Windows Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise to support RDP Connections.

Lolvo

On the Internal Network you should be able to connect just via the 192.168.1.100. On the external network you need the Public IP address of you modem (Click on Status) and then you put that IP Address in the connection string (since you are using the default port you can just use the IP Address). The Host needs to be Windows Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise to support RDP Connections.

So from what I described, I have everything set up correctly?

When trying to connect internally through 192.168.1.100, Remote Desktop asks me for credentials (username and password) - I've tried everything I can think of...nothing works. I've tried my PC's computer name and password, the local account name, my Surface's device name and password, my router's name and password...it kicks out everything and says "these credentials did not work" - what is supposed to go here? My PC I'm trying to remote to is on Windows 8 Pro, and I know the public IP of it, as well as the modem (pretty sure I'm looking at the right thing).

I have not tried this from an external network yet, but will be able to tomorrow.