What's new

'Rotate' the Volume - Intuitive?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a suggestion I plan to pass on to Microsoft:

When rotating the Surface Pro 3, say, to landscape orientation (Windows logo on the left), the volume buttons should also switch functions. That way, the volume button which is on top brings volume up, and the button on the bottom brings volume down. Portrait rotations can remain as they are.

I thought I would see what members here think before I pass that on. Credit my youngest son for the idea.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can appreciate your frustration, but for myself, i've never really had reason to flip the tablet upside down. But this is mostly because i'm me, i'm just fussy like that, with anything. Chopping board must be right way up, a tad OCD. However i have experienced this with many tablets, I just try and get used to it. But every time i have encountered it, I have wondered how hard it i to wire up the volume rocker to do such a thing. If your software will allow a certain vewing angle, then your hardware buttons should act accordingly. Is it actually that hard?

However you say rotating, why not jut rotate to windows button on the right? :)

olimjj

True. Why rotate 180 degrees? Good point.

You might prefer to use the volume button with your right hand. Your left hand might be occupied with an "appropriate drink" while in the zone with your music.
I like the idea. The more convenient choices the better.

ScottyS

Here's a suggestion I plan to pass on to Microsoft:

When rotating the Surface Pro 3, say, to landscape orientation (Windows logo on the left), the volume buttons should also switch functions. That way, the volume button which is on top brings volume up, and the button on the bottom brings volume down. Portrait rotations can remain as they are.

I thought I would see what members here think before I pass that on. Credit my youngest son for the idea.
Yes, intuitive. A computer would just make the thing work the way you'd expect it to work without you having to think about it. Isn't that the way Apple stuff is supposed to be?
Don't know if Microsoft could do that, too much "thinking outside the box".

silkrooster

I thought you were going to suggest hold down the windows button then rotate the screen left or right to adjust the volume. The more you rotate the screen, the further the volume goes up or down. Just let go of the windows button to straighten the screen so it won't affect the volume.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought you were going to suggest hold down the windows button then rotate the screen left or right to adjust the volume. The more you rotate the screen, the further the volume goes up or down. Just let go of the windows button to straighten the screen so it won't affect the volume.
Tilt would work ... not rotate.
Add a row of touch selectors on the other side... Windows Button + selector1 = Function1
Functions being user/app selectable from a long list of available functions. Similar to the Gesture Studio concept ... that could expand the Gesture Library as well... Selector1 + Gesture = Function.
Just need the Surface to self levitate in air for two handed operations :)

ptrkhh

Disagree, my Acer ICONIA A100 does that, and its quite frustrating especially when youre not looking at the screen. Sometimes the screen rotates unintentionally, and I would as well miss the volume buttons.

A physical button has to be consistent, it shouldn't change or switch its function no matter what. Otherwise it would be an onscreen button

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... A physical button has to be consistent, it shouldn't change or switch its function no matter what. Otherwise it would be an onscreen button

Yes, now I think I agree that a physical button must keep its function.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting... you mention one little change not much response but expand on it and everybody gets up... :)