What's new

Router for Surface Pro 3

anthonylei

Guys, I am in the market for a new router and hoping someone can recommend some routers which can establish fast and stable connection (at a sensible price) with my other network devices, mainly the NAS.

Also, what is maximum supported speed with the SP3? I cannot find that info on MS website. The site only stated the spec is Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac.

Thanks a lot

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a number of router threads here such as
What's the best wireless ac router for SP2/SP3 although many newer routers have come on the market since then.
For testing and reviews check
Wirecutter best wi-fi router review http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
and Smallnetbuilder Router Charts - WAN to LAN Throughput

Speed varies but here a result from my earlier testing
Using Sp3 : @ 6.5 meters / 21 feet. 5ghz band
Connection Speed 866.5 Mbps.
Internet download 58 Mbps Upload 61 Mbps subscribed 50/50 Mbps. :)
Local Xfer Speed : 32-40 MBps/256-320 Mbps
Local transfer using source Laptop wired to Router Gb Ethernet port.

Internet speed will likely be limited by your subscribed rate.

Guys, I am in the market for a new router and hoping someone can recommend some routers which can establish fast and stable connection (at a sensible price) with my other network devices, mainly the NAS.

Also, what is maximum supported speed with the SP3? I cannot find that info on MS website. The site only stated the spec is Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac.

Thanks a lot

Specs have been provided for you above. Any router that supports 802.11ac will do the same. I'm partial to Netgear myself and have been running an R6300 for going on 2 1/2 years. SP4 and SP3 both run consistently in the 866.67 Mbps range on 5g.