What's new

Screen Mirroring on the Surface

kricke

Nice, Thanks.

(Boxee Cloud DVR (formerly Boxee TV) lets you stream broadcast TV channels)
(With Roku, fall in love with TV time all over again.)
They talk TV, I guess.

For Surface: I can hook it up to a projector via its HDMI output. No problem. I can have a ppt on the Surface, fine.

Now the only other thing I need is something like a remote to control the ppt. For note- and net books there are several programs to control the ppt from either a iOS, a Windows Phone or Android device. (iclickr ...) The problem here is that these programs require a server on the windows machine. Not exactly a problem, but they do not work on RT. So, I could use a USB remote (wireless presenter). This might work, haven't tested it yet, with just next slide or previous slide.

Similar situation for Android. Connection to a projector is ok, though ppt on Android is weak. Neither of the paid or free apps are really helpful. And here again, I would go the extra mile (km as I am metric) and use a cable to connect the android tablet to the projector - but I want something to remotely control the presentation. Either from another Android or WP or iOS device. And here I fail. There are several apps in Google Playstore but .. no.

But I keep searching ...
And, thanks, I could open a new thread in another section of the forum. I will consider it.

Knut

J515OP

Super Moderator
Boxee and Roku were just names of the top of my head because things like Panasonic DMP-MS10 or Netgear PTVU1000 just don't stick ;) The point is you just need a digital media receiver which the Boxee and Roku might do (I don't know all the models and features) even though their focus is internet connected TV units. Then you don't have to use a cable which I believe was the point.

Since it is a tablet you shouldn't need to have another clicker you just run it all from your tablet by touching the screen. I think you meant a clicker for a wired connection to the to the projector from the tablet. In either case you should easily be able to get a clicker for the Surface tablets. All you need is a presenter mouse and then you have either bluetooth or USB dongle options to suit a variety of clickers :)

The basic idea is the same at the core of it in all cases. The Apple TV is just a small PC which supports a wireless standard called Airplay. Theoretically you just need a small PC which accepts a wireless standard compatible with Windows like Miracast to do the same. I'm not 100% sure it does actually work the way it is supposed to particularly on the Surface tablets or certain Android devices but would like to know of people running this type of setup. Maybe its like the whole DisplayPort daisy chain or 128GB microsd card where it all works in theory but good luck finding it in reality :D Maybe that is why people just stick with Apple ;)

Omni

Im interested in this but I don't want to have to use USB on the pc side as it will more than likely cause problems with the Surface RT. So I searched only for wireless HDMI senders as the RT should have no problem with those. I found this:

Gigabyte SKYVISION WS100 Wireless HDMI Stream from Laptop Console Tablet PC 2 TV | eBay

It does use USB but only for power on the tv end. Most tvs have USB these days so that shouldn't be a problem for most. Of course you need an adaptor for the micro-HDMI.

MicroHDMI male to HDMI female adapter Plug HDMI Micro Connector HDMI For DC HTC | eBay

Ive not idea if this would work but it seems to me like it would. No idea how much Airplay costs but £100+ is a tad expensive and also a reason I cant try this right away. :(. Hopefully someone else could...

kricke

Ok, this topic now has it's own thread :)

This is a useful review of the Netgear Push2TV PTUV1000 as well as a basic walk through of the setup. This may or may not work with the RT if installation of software is required. The site itself should be a good reference for anybody that wants to explore their options more. Please let us know how it goes :D

Hands On: NETGEAR PTVU1000 Universal Push2TV HD Adapter - We Got Served

Thanks for the own topic.

Having read the hands on and seen the pics I, too, think that this might work were it not for the software installation on RT.
Thanks.

Knut

J515OP

Super Moderator
To both Omni and Knut, I think that is just for the "universal" model. Find one that has the right specs and you can potentially lose the USB dongle and software installation. Even if you do need the dongle on the universal model you may not need to install the software as on the RT. A lot of times with mice, graphics cards, printers and other peripherals the software adds extra functionality and options but may not need to be installed for basic functions. It would be nice to know if anybody has first hand experience with this process.

kricke

I just happen to have another idea. Bluetooth does not require the installation of software, as far as I know. What about using a bluetooth laser pointer with ppt support and using a cable (HDMI) to connect to the projector? So I could walk the room (10 - 30 m) and proceed with the presentation. I think I will give it a try. Or does someone here at the forum already know that it will work or don't work on the RT? Thanks. Knut