Device cannot start (Code 10)
- Device Manager can't start the device.
- One of the drivers that the device needs does not start.
- Device Manager has insufficient information to recognize the error that is bubbled up by the device driver.
Note In this situation, the Code 10 error can be a very generic message that indicates some kind of unspecified driver or device problem.
Try any of the following common resolutions to resolve the problem:
- Update the drivers for this device
- Run an automated troubleshooting service
- Contact the hardware vendor's technical support
The Code 10 error is mainly related to hardware and device driver issues or to compatibility issues between hardware drivers and additional software that is installed in Windows. Therefore, we recommend that you troubleshoot these issues by focusing on device drivers, on device configuration issues, and on hardware compatibility issues.
Hardware compatibility issues
Another possibility is that the device was not designed to work with the particular version of Windows that you are using. You can use the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL), to determine whether the device is listed as compatible with your current version of Windows.