What's new

Should I get an SP3

zuperpailon

Hey guys, Greetings from Chile

I'll be in NY in a month or so and I'm thinking about getting my hands on a Surface Pro 3 (i5-128 or i5-256). My idea is to replace my laptop. I dont want it for gaming, maybe some PSX emulation.

I read on this forum that people are still having hardware, overheating and battery problems. Sometimes the solution is replacing the SP3 for a new one. The thing is that in Chile we don't have any MS Stores, so if there is a problem with my unit I think I'll be unable to replace it. So that scares me a lot.

Any ideas?

PS: Does anybody know if the Spanish Pro Type Cover is available in the US?

Thanks in advance.

bluegrass

Welcome to the forum.

Yes. Get one. No, I don't know about the keyboard. The question of getting an SP3 has really been covered a lot on this forum. You'll need to spend a lot of time researching. I typically spend at least an hour on the forum everyday doing some research and trying to assist others.

OP
Z

zuperpailon

Welcome to the forum.

Yes. Get one. No, I don't know about the keyboard. The question of getting an SP3 has really been covered a lot on this forum. You'll need to spend a lot of time researching. I typically spend at least an hour on the forum everyday doing some research and trying to assist others.

I've been reading this forum everyday for at least a month. It has helped a lot.

I'm absolutely positive I want an SP3, the only issue is that if I get a faulty unit, I won't be able to replace it once I come back to Chile

Maybe I'll get it at day one and try it throughout the week... At least I know (by reading this forum) about which problems to look out for.

Thanks

Sorry for my potato english

mohcho

Welcome to the forum. If you buy it in the store, you could still potentially return it for service/exchange through the mail.

I just exchanged mine yesterday in a local store due to a malfunction on the touch screen, but the support person on the phone asked if I wanted mail in service as an option. Since there are local stores, it made sense for me to go there, but for you, it may still work.

Mind you, this is all assuming you have any hardware issues with the device that would warrant a return/exchange.

malberttoo

I've been reading this forum everyday for at least a month. It has helped a lot.

I'm absolutely positive I want an SP3, the only issue is that if I get a faulty unit, I won't be able to replace it once I come back to Chile

Maybe I'll get it at day one and try it throughout the week... At least I know (by reading this forum) about which problems to look out for.

Thanks

Sorry for my potato english

Welcome to the forum!

Your English is great by the way.

I like your idea, it's definitely wise to get the SP3 as soon as you can, and use while you're in the US and put it through some paces. WiFi problems seems to be what's affecting the most people. Overheating etc., are not really issues for the bulk of the user base.

Let us know what you think when you get it!

dman27

Get it, try it, like it. Not sure about the recommendation of the I3 version, it is significantly slower than the other versions.

raqball

Maybe call MS 1st and ask what their policy is for exchanging a faulty unit from an overseas location where there are no MS stores.

I am sure that there are many instances where people purchase here in the US then move abroad. I don't think that would void the warranty.

In my opinion, getting the answer direct from the horses mouth would be best in this instance since the Surface Pro 3 is not cheap..

I originally was going to get the i3 but ultimately decided the extra $200 was well worth it for the i5 and twice the HD space..

daveyp

Get it, try it, like it. Not sure about the recommendation of the I3 version, it is significantly slower than the other versions.

it is less powerful, but slower needs to be quantified. for browsing and office stuff the real-world difference is small. and im comparing my i5/ssd/16gb gaming desktop to my i3 sp3. the i3 will easily handle ps one and probably ps2 emulation. since the roms are so large, though, the 64gb would seem inappropriate. a large microsd should solve this problem.

the 8gb of ram would make the biggest difference, particularly for the chrome tab-hoarders. though since this will be your main machine, I would opt for the the i5/8gb

olimjj

Hey guys, Greetings from Chile

PS: Does anybody know if the Spanish Pro Type Cover is available in the US?

Thanks in advance.
As ctitanic said, there is no physical Spanish SP3 keyboard.
However you can get a touchscreen Spanish keyboard
Goto Control Panel
Choose Language
Select Add a language
Select Spanish(Chile)
choose Add