What's new

Sleep Worse Since April Updates

ncameron

My system was working perfectly before the latest April updates. Since then I have noticed that my SB loses more power when sleeping that it was before. My Sleepstudy reports show that something called:

"Unregistered Device \_SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX"

is 100% active during sleep.

Whilst that is not identified on my system, from other posts it appears to be the
Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller (\_SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX) - not the Networking element of the device, which appears in a different line on my Sleepstudy under the Networking heading at 0%, but some other element of the device which appears under the heading of 'Fx Devices'.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

OP
N

ncameron

UPDATE: Further research would appear to indicate that this mysterious device is NOT the Network Controller, but is actually the SSD Storage Controller. I had applied a non-SB-specific Samsung device driver to this some time go, on the basis it was said to increase SSD performance. It caused no problem them, but maybe now was doing so in combination with one of the updated drivers.
So I did what we all do to revert to the 'proper' driver; I deleted the driver and rebooted knowing (ha, ha) that the SB would reinstall the required standard driver.
That works doesn't it? No, not on a driver for a Bitlocked drive! I nearly bricked my SB. It wouldn't boot, of course. So I thought - no problem I'll just go into Safe Mode. Easier said than done, if you didn't pre-select Boot to Safe Mode from a working system. You can eventually get to a screen allowing you to select Safe Mode, IF you can enter your Bitlocker Recovery Key. No problem, I thought I'm sure I saved that to my OneDrive. Turns out I has saved the Drive ID Key, but not the Recovery Key. Luckily, and unbeknownst to me, Microsoft had thoughtfully saved in to my Microsoft Account page - which I found after 20 mins panicking, as the only other option I was being offered was to wipe the disk and stat again from scratch.
Panic over. I booted to Safe Mode, went to the Device Manager and found I have two plausible drivers for the SSD storage controller:

• Samsung NVMe Controller, and
  • Standard NVM Express Controller

I chose the former, just to get a working system, but after all that panic, I cant remember what I had there before! Can someone please tell me which is the 'standard' driver is under that heading please?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE: Further research would appear to indicate that this mysterious device is NOT the Network Controller, but is actually the SSD Storage Controller. I had applied a non-SB-specific Samsung device driver to this some time go, on the basis it was said to increase SSD performance. It caused no problem them, but maybe now was doing so in combination with one of the updated drivers.
So I did what we all do to revert to the 'proper' driver; I deleted the driver and rebooted knowing (ha, ha) that the SB would reinstall the required standard driver.
That works doesn't it? No, not on a driver for a Bitlocked drive! I nearly bricked my SB. It wouldn't boot, of course. So I thought - no problem I'll just go into Safe Mode. Easier said than done, if you didn't pre-select Boot to Safe Mode from a working system. You can eventually get to a screen allowing you to select Safe Mode, IF you can enter your Bitlocker Recovery Key. No problem, I thought I'm sure I saved that to my OneDrive. Turns out I has saved the Drive ID Key, but not the Recovery Key. Luckily, and unbeknownst to me, Microsoft had thoughtfully saved in to my Microsoft Account page - which I found after 20 mins panicking, as the only other option I was being offered was to wipe the disk and stat again from scratch.
Panic over. I booted to Safe Mode, went to the Device Manager and found I have two plausible drivers for the SSD storage controller:

• Samsung NVMe Controller, and
  • Standard NVM Express Controller

I chose the former, just to get a working system, but after all that panic, I cant remember what I had there before! Can someone please tell me which is the 'standard' driver is under that heading please?
Should be the Standard NVM Express Controller....