What's new

Slower wake-up - why?

andy7

I have surface 3 with 4G memory, windows 10, all updated.

It is much slower to wake up from sleep. It is not comparable to iPad. iPad is instant to login.

Any way to make it faster to wake up?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

iPad and Android tablets all wake up instantly Windows never has unless you only used a screen saver. In short there is no way to get Windows to wake as fast as either iOS or Android.

ScottyS

My SP3 awakens from sleep in about 2 seconds, which although slower than an iPhone or iPad is still pretty fast. If it's been asleep for more than 4 hours, however, it goes into hibernation and that takes almost as long as a boot up to awaken. I have 8GB RAM, the more RAM the longer it takes to re-load from hibernation. Don't know if the S3 uses the same sleep/hibernate, but as @leeshor said "there is no way to get Windows to wake as fast as either iOS or Android."

mogulman

I'm kind of bummed with the slower wakeup time on the Surface also. Asus T100 was much faster (Like Android or ipad). I think because it had connected standby.

Surface 3 seems to go into a deeper sleep mode to get the advertised standby time.

mogulman

Not true. Asus t100 is much faster than Surface 3 for waking up
Welcome to the forum

iPad and Android tablets all wake up instantly Windows never has unless you only used a screen saver. In short there is no way to get Windows to wake as fast as either iOS or Android.
. It was comparable to ipad.

leeshor

It's also difficult not only to compare one product like the T-100 to a Surface, but you might even experience differences between 2 of the same product unless they were both configured exactly the same. Too many variables.

mogulman

I read that the Surface 3 goes into Hibernate after 4 hours of non-use. This causes it to wake up slower. The machine is basically restoring everything off the SSD.

For less than 4 hours, the Surface 3 is in Connected Standby. It should be almost immediately, like an ipad, Android or Asus T100. Asus T100 is another Windows device, but it would remain in Connected Standby then entire time it was in Standby, rather than going into hibernate at some point.

leeshor

Those "bugs" will probably be ironed out with TH2 which may be only a couple weeks away. Of course with any major fix additional unexpected bugs will creep in. Fix 10 break 1.

ScottyS

I read that the Surface 3 goes into Hibernate after 4 hours of non-use. This causes it to wake up slower. The machine is basically restoring everything off the SSD.

For less than 4 hours, the Surface 3 is in Connected Standby. It should be almost immediately, like an ipad, Android or Asus T100. Asus T100 is another Windows device, but it would remain in Connected Standby then entire time it was in Standby, rather than going into hibernate at some point.
Yes, this has been my experience with both SP and SP3. If it's been asleep less than 4 hours it wakes in about 2 seconds. If it's more than 4 hour it has to come out of hibernate.