What's new

Surface 3 Will not wake up after sleep

weta58

Since yesterday, I ran into the issue of S3 not waking up after going to sleep. Pressing the Power button only brings up a dark gray screen which after a while goes completely dark. May be a coincidence but it started to happen after the Microsoft Windows update (KB3116908) got installed. This has happened three times today and each time I had to hold the Power button and force a shutdown and then start again. Frustrating!

Have looked at Event Viewer and each time failure to wake up from sleep is preceded by an error with LockApp.exe. The message is "LockApp.exe stopped interacting with Windows" and "App Microsoft.LockApp_...did not launch within its allotted time"

Will appreciate your help in with the (a) wake up issue, (b) is it connected with LockApp.exe?, and (c) any suggested cure?

Thanks!!

stupops

Mine has just started to do the same. Strange. Happens when I shut the type cover. Windows button buzzes and keyboard lights up bit black screen so do a reset with the power button. I remember i had similar issue on w8

OP
W

weta58

Mine has just started to do the same. Strange. Happens when I shut the type cover. Windows button buzzes and keyboard lights up bit black screen so do a reset with the power button. I remember i had similar issue on w8

Did you figure a solution earlier? I have exactly the same symptom "Windows button buzzes and keyboard lights up bit black screen..."

Really need to find a solution for this. I am even thinking of returning the S3 (it is only two weeks old)! Doing a forced shut down and a start does not makes me nervous.

In my case I am pretty sure it has something to do with "LockApp.exe" and hoping someone knows what does it do. There is not much that comes up on search.

stupops

Yeah - its still happening. I gave up on a solution for w8. I just live with it - but may try the sleep settings. It happens more if I fold the cover closed as I am in tablet mode. I have started to get my lock screen with the message 'swipe down to shut down' but its sort of just freezes as you try to swipe down. Hey ho.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure this applies here but I saw a post elsewhere about pressing WinKey + P twice to recover from black screen condition.

stlbud

I have the same problem and it started about the same time as OP. Even with forcing a shutdown with the power button, it still takes a minute or two before I can turn it back on. Damn beta software. GRRR!

I discovered a work around - Press Ctrl, Alt, Delete and you should get a login screen.