What's new

So...has the SP3 replaced your laptop?

Fast-T

For work, yes it is my one and only device. Still have a MBP at home and until I found a good photo management s/w like Aperture and a Video Edit s/w like Final Cut X I'll probably keep it. Struggling so far to find s/w that does not have difficulties with the screen resolution. NO - Adobe Creative Cloud is not a option for me.

fifl

My SP2 actually replaced my laptop and tablet, and I think SP3 will replace my SP2. I am not convinced yet, mostly because of the fan on SP3 is on much more than on SP2. I will do some comparinsons before I decide

kristalsoldier

I was playing with one in Currys today, I wish it could replace my 9 month old laptop but that's an SP2 and I really can't justify the price as that cost £1400.00 and none of the accessories that I bought for it will compliment the SP3, so no it hasn't replaced my laptop (smiley face)

Yeah 1400 quid is a lot of money and the tragedy are those accessories that came with the SP1 and 2 and their inability to work with the SP3. This is the reason why I am holding off buying the dock for my SP3 in the first place. If I would buy accessories - particularly the dock - I would probably buy "universal" ones that can work across at least across a couple of generations of devices.

megatronium

No, Surface has not replaced my Laptop, but i purchased it as a tablet and not as a Laptop replacement :)
My Laptop is quite powerfull (Quad Core i7, 32GB RAM, SSD-Raid, Dedicated GPU GTX680m), Surface is no match, but i don't need to carry my Laptop around anymore, Laptop Weight is 4kg vs Surface 800g :)

1 hour battery life or 2?

DaSchnee

It definitely has replaced my 2012 Dell XPS 15 (I rarely used it anyway) but it absolutly can't replace my Desktop PC. The Surface is fast for what it is but it can't compete with a proper overclocked i7 gaming rig. Everything just takes a bit longer to load and process, which is fine when I'm out and about but I could never use the Surface as my main machine a home.

ThatCoolBlueKid

Yes, and No.

Since getting my SP3 (i5/128) a week ago, I've not touched my macbook Pro. however, there are a lot of things that i still prefer on the older macbook pro to my SP3. which is dissapointing. Its mainly the typing experience and the transition to Windows 8 from Mac OS. The trackpad kinda kills the experience on the SP3 in my opinion, Apple did it better.

InspectHerGadget

Yes, and No.

Since getting my SP3 (i5/128) a week ago, I've not touched my macbook Pro. however, there are a lot of things that i still prefer on the older macbook pro to my SP3. which is dissapointing. Its mainly the typing experience and the transition to Windows 8 from Mac OS. The trackpad kinda kills the experience on the SP3 in my opinion, Apple did it better.
There is little doubt that both the keyboard and trackpad are better on the MacBooks.
I personally find it a case of 'not that much better though'. It is something you have to weigh up against the handwriting capability and whether you prefer Windows 8 or OS X. It isn't a competition, just a personal preference at the end of the day and I've gone back and forth between the two operating systems.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find I rarely use the trackpad as I generally interact via the screen either with finger or pen for more accuracy even when I'm typing on the keyboard. I find it so much quicker.

InspectHerGadget

I find I rarely use the trackpad as I generally interact via the screen either with finger or pen for more accuracy even when I'm typing on the keyboard. I find it so much quicker.

I find touch almost useless on the desktop. On my SP2 where the trackpad really was rubbish, I had to buy a mouse and I carried it in my pocket everywhere.

The trackpad on this one is good enough I don't bother carrying a mouse.

bluegrass

It's replace my laptops & desktops. Where I work, it looks like it's becoming the standard for users that travel. Quite a few of them have changed from carrying a laptop & iPad to a Surface 3.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's replace my laptops & desktops. Where I work, it looks like it's becoming the standard for users that travel. Quite a few of them have changed from carrying a laptop & iPad to a Surface 3.

I'm noticing that more of them are slowly creeping into my uni. Most still have a macbook though. It still amuses me seeing folk in lectures with a cramped powerpoint/pdf open in one screen, and a word document open next to it for notes, or in most cases, the lecture material on their shiny macbook and a pen and paper alongside. It is still early days, and there is a long road ahead, but i think that MS havea winner here, and before long apple is going to be forced to offer some kind of alternative else become redundant. I've had tablets for a long time, and never once found a use for my stylus, but with the sp3, the pen is a complete game changer.