What's new

[Solved] What is the mini DisplayPort spec on the Pro?

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Yes, I will definitely share the results.

It's the Dell U3014, which is DP 1.2-compliant. I currently have the U3011 (DP 1.1a).

So, according to the DP 1.2 specs, I am supposed to be able to send the DP 1.2 output from my PC to the U3014 and then daisy-chain that (the U3014 has a DP output port) to the U3011.

That's the plan; let's see how well it executes! :)

But I'm still in the waiting game, though, because finally Dell had a press release about it a month ago, stating that it would be available "very soon." Well, it has been one month already, so still waiting. :( I do web searches daily and today it finally showed up on their site, but you couldn't order it and it seemed like if it was for retailers only because they had find-a-distributor links.

I decided to call them and the sales agent just told me they don't have it yet. Oh well, at least it is finally showing up on their site in some form, so "very soon" must almost be here.

Profoxcg

hi guys I am here to the forum and the proud owner of a SP.

I am happy to have found this thread and am interested learn what the outcome of this really is. I am currently trying to condense my "devices" and been considering "docking" the surface for web and other typical non-hardware intensive uses (although I am well aware my SP can handle them).

In regards to monitors, what am I looking for if I want two external monitors ?
do both monitors need to be Displayport 1.2? or does only one need to be?

Thanks, Nuspieds please post your results.

J515OP

Super Moderator
hi guys I am here to the forum and the proud owner of a SP.

I am happy to have found this thread and am interested learn what the outcome of this really is. I am currently trying to condense my "devices" and been considering "docking" the surface for web and other typical non-hardware intensive uses (although I am well aware my SP can handle them).

In regards to monitors, what am I looking for if I want two external monitors ?
do both monitors need to be Displayport 1.2? or does only one need to be?

Thanks, Nuspieds please post your results.

Got off track there in versions for a second. I think you need two 1.2s for correct daisy chain.

Last edited:

machistmo

Folks,

I was completely flabbergasted not only to have received the following email, but also by its contents! :)

I just received it and so I share with you all (slightly edited, for privacy purposes):

"Interesting," to say the least, no? :)

Right on. That is great news! So whats the ETA on the monitor? Please post a follow up on your experience with the Daisy Chaining?!?

machistmo

Stop torturing me! :LOL:

Every day I check the Dell site but still not yet available here in the US! :mad: This is the last piece of the puzzle I'm waiting for to complete my Surface setup. On Feb. 12th they said it will be released "soon" but it has been more than month already! :)

Gotta wonder about this item. Why would they make you wait to buy the Mercedes Class Products? I mean that thing should come with white-glove install service too!

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Yes, it is, but you know what? I currently own the U3011 and I am very happy with it.

Last year, when I was looking for a new monitor to replace my 28" Hannspree, that's when I stumbled on the U3011 and out of all the other products I looked at, the U3011 was best overall for me, including price.

So, since I can daisy-chain it onto the U3014, all I need is just one U3014...and especially at that price, thank goodness I only need just one! :)

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Gotta wonder about this item. Why would they make you wait to buy the Mercedes Class Products? I mean that thing should come with white-glove install service too!
I'm trying to figure out what is it they could be doing that is causing this delay. It's not like when they are trying their hand at a cell phone or tablet, so they try it out first in Asia before the US market; this is a monitor, so what's holding things up??!!

I even try the online chat at Dell.com to see what they say and, not surprisingly, the response is, "Sorry, it is not yet available here in the US."