What's new

Solved SP3 Acronis TI15 backup size

logger

My i5 256GB is has 71GB use on the C drive.

I want to back up my data (not image) to a NAS drive I have. When using the default incremental scheme the resulting back up is 205GB or pretty much three times the used space. Then a subsequent incremental is another 180GB. So after two backups 385GB is used on my NAS, to backup the 71GB of space used on my SP3!

Why is acronis seemingly backing up the free space on my 256GB C drive? Is it because the SP3 hdd is encrypted?

OP
L

logger

Has anyone turned bitlocker off on their SP3. If so how long does it take to decrypt the HDD?

I think my large backup sizes might be due to Acronis True image not playing well with Bitlocker. But I have read somewhere it can take days to decrypt a HDD. I dont want to run the risk of things going pear shape when I turn Bitlocker off. So before I do this I need to check if other have disabled it without issue on their SP3.

OP
L

logger

Right got it sorted and this may be useful for others.

I turned Bitlocker off and let it decrypt my C drive. Fortunately it ran quickly and completed the task in under 20 minutes.

I then did a brand new Acronis TI, full backup of the my 75GBs used space on my C drive. Instead of using 205Gb it only used 45GB of space and completed in about 10 instead of 45 minutes.

So turning Bitlocker off has fixed the issue for me. Now my Acronis backups are relatively quick to create and use less than the used space on my HDD. So all good.

I dont feel I really need Bitlocker and having TI working fast and more space effectively is more important to me.