What's new

SP3 Automatic Time Update not working?

This morning, my SP3 said it was 7:18PM, when in fact it was like 9:20am.

I checked the settings, and "automatic time update" is enabled. I disabled and enabled it but the little rotating "busy glyph" never stopped spinning (I waited for several minutes) so I just updated the time manually.

Anyone else having problems with automatic time?

Michael

gtext

Try one of the other time servers from the automatic time settings. Think it was time.windows.com that didn't work for some reason for me.

leeshor

You Surface should keep fairly accurate time without checking a time server. That sounds as if your time zone may not be accurate or there is a problem with the time offset.

foghat

Same thing happened with my wife's surface yesterday. She had to do a hard reboot as it would not come out of connected standby.

After the reboot, the time was off by a lot. Auto time was on, turning it off and then back on caused a never ending 'busy glyph'. I ended up just setting the time manually.

adrians

This was mentioned in some other threads, before. As gtext mentioned above (and as I did elsewhere) it's this default time server that seems to not keep time sometimes. Just switch to using another.

ctitanic

Same thing happened with my wife's surface yesterday. She had to do a hard reboot as it would not come out of connected standby.

After the reboot, the time was off by a lot. Auto time was on, turning it off and then back on caused a never ending 'busy glyph'. I ended up just setting the time manually.
Sometime the time servers are down. No all of them but the one you have configured.

leeshor

A customer has a server that I don't think has ever failed to error on the time server but it is also pretty darned accurate on its own, so I/we don't worry about it.

iThinkiCan

I had the exact same error this morning. Here's how I fixed it.

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Troubleshooting > All Categories

Run as admin > System Maintenance

This checks the clock but didn't find any issues. So I went over to Windows Update (desktop) and "Checked For Updates".

That's when I got this error: Windows Update error 0x8024a000

Clicked to "get help with error" > In help screen clicked "Run Troubleshooter for error 0x8024a000" which downloaded WindowsUpdateDiagnostic file, run and fixed!

Detection Details attached

Attachments

• Windows Update error 0x8024a000.png
    Windows Update error 0x8024a000.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 524
  • Issues-Found.png
    Issues-Found.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 465
  • Detection-Details.png
    Detection-Details.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 512