What's new

SP3 Pen Issue

Karam

Hey all,

First post here, but a very important and needed to fix issue. My boss purchase a SP3 two weeks ago. Also ordered a docking station. Hooked everything up, all the updates were done. Beautiful machine with an external monitor connected. The problem is the pen. It is paired and when he clicks on the top of the pen, it opens one note as it should. The problem is it does not write. He can't use it as a mouse as it should be used meaning using the tip to open applications/drop down menus/ touching things to open. The 319 Coin batteries were changed as well as the AAAA battery. Microsoft sent a replacement one and same issue. What's amazing is he grabbed someone else's SP3 Pen from them during a meeting and it worked as it should have doing all of the things mentioned above. Does anyone have any ideas?? Its at the point where he might go back to this Sp2 if we cannot get the Pen issue resolved!

Also should note that the pen does not do the mentioned above operations whether it is docked or not docked.

Gary.M

It is strange that neither the original or the replacement pen work, yet one borrowed does. I know you said you tried swapping out the AAAA battery but a silly thing I did was to put it in back to front and wonder if it could be something like this?

OP
K

Karam

Double and triple checked the AAAA battery. It was inserted correctly and I also had another set of eyes check it in case I was doing something wrong. I'm at a lost and I think the tech support from Microsoft is as well.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I once had 3 printers with the exact same problem... if someone else's pen worked take the device to a store and find a pen that works or grab a handful of pens in hopes of getting a good one. MS Store or Staples, or Best Buy, Wallmart, anywhere ...

Also, remove the nib and reinsert it.

malberttoo

Double and triple checked the AAAA battery. It was inserted correctly and I also had another set of eyes check it in case I was doing something wrong. I'm at a lost and I think the tech support from Microsoft is as well.

As incredible as it sounds, possibly the second pen was defective as well. If a borrowed pen from another SP3 DID work, then of course the problem can't be the SP3's digitizer.

I would get another replacement from Microsoft. 3rd time's a charm and all that...

ctitanic

As incredible as it sounds, possibly the second pen was defective as well. If a borrowed pen from another SP3 DID work, then of course the problem can't be the SP3's digitizer.

I would get another replacement from Microsoft. 3rd time's a charm and all that...
Seems reasonable.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
its a shame they use an active pen. The passive pen design on the SP2 was more reliable. No batteries or electronics.
Both the Wacom and N-Trig use an active pen, the difference is which component supplies the power. On the Wacom, the Digitizer Layer is powered and the passive receiver in the pen closes the circuit.

On the N-Trig the Pen is the powered component and the digitizer layer is passive and closes the circuit and has less an impact on battery life.

ctitanic

Both the Wacom and N-Trig use an active pen, the difference is which component supplies the power. On the Wacom, the Digitizer Layer is powered and the passive receiver in the pen closes the circuit.

On the N-Trig the Pen is the powered component and the digitizer layer is passive and closes the circuit and has less an impact on battery life.
And that makes the SP2 thicker ;)

InspectHerGadget

Thanks for that.

In practice though, Jeff, one is more reliable than the other, for whatever reasons. There are also no batteries to worry about on the SP2. There are not one but two sets of batteries on the SP3, one for the bluetooth and one for screen magic.

I've just noticed far more incidents on the SP3 with it hesitating and not writing or not rejecting the palm (so it scrolls or goes to another page).

I actually returned one SP3 because of this then decided I wanted the performance of the i7 more than not wanting the issues with the pen.

It isn't a showstoppper but it is annoying and it is one area where the SP2 is simply more reliable.

I should say I've probably sold dozens of these Surfaces for Microsoft as I see people every day. When the pen doesn't work though I do get laughed at...oh, my poor fragile ego...:)

Last edited: