What's new

SP4 keyboard no longer working

xio115

I have a SP4 keyboard I've been using with my SP3 and it stopped working recently. Nothing wont light up and everything isnt working. I believe this happened after an update. Ive tried doing the volume up+power, recovery. And downloaded recovery image install. Even bought a new cover. Still doest work.

Is there a way for me to install the old firmware? I believe this is what messed it up. Its been almost 2 weeks now, and its quite frustrating. I didnt know I was supposed to turn updates off. There is no microsoft store here and for me to contact support it will cost $30. Find it odd this happens soon after my warranty expired.

dpbenton

I had this problem recently. Have you tried switching off auto-rotate in the action centre (you might need to reboot afterwards) It seems like windows assumes the surface is a tablet and you'll want to auto-rotate, but with auto-rotate on it switches off the keyboard - which sort of makes sense.
I came across the solution by accident after having torn my hair out. You can also check if the keyboard is actually non-functional by booting to setup (hold volume+ and power until it starts up) and seeing if you can navigate the menu with the keyboard. If it works then, you know it's a software issue not a hardware one.

OP
X

xio115

It doesnt work when holding volume + power mode. it worked a few times ,but now no longer. Does that mean my dock is broken? Ive done a fresh install of windows already and still wont work. Ive ordered a blue tooth leyboard as i think this is now my only optuion. Find it very frustrating that it never had issues. But then soon after warranty expires, the dock breaks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Check very carefully for a poor connection: Dirt or debris in the connection port of the keyboard, or vinyl skin or hard case getting in the way.

OP
X

xio115

I've cleaned it quite thoroughly. Is there any way that I can test if the dock connector works through software? I dont have the dock connector nor is it sold over here.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Find a friend or somebody somewhere with a Surface, and try your keyboard on their machine.

OP
X

xio115

I got a new type cover just after mine stopped working, as a relative traveled to hong kong. So I doubt its the type cover. Ive resorted to ordering a blue tooth cover from overseas. Will be 3 weeks till it gets here, guess ill just have to shelf the surface till then.

OP
X

xio115

Heres something I noticed, after reading a lot of threads I tried draining my battery completely. Then when I plugged it in and started up the keyboard worked fine. But as soon as I disconnected it it no longer works again. So annoying. I dont know whether its software or hardware now.

OP
X

xio115

Tried it again, it works, even restarted my computer and it still works but as soon as I remove the cover or fold it, it no longer works anymore and I have to do the whole drain to 0% to get it up and running again.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming your Surface Pro 3 is not the problem, try someone else's keyboard on your Surface clipboard:

This may be a metal shaving or thread inside your keyboard which makes intermittent contact (short) somewhere. Perhaps tap or pat it, but only as forcefully as you wish, to try to dislodge the problem.

OP
X

xio115

Assuming your Surface Pro 3 is not the problem, try someone else's keyboard on your Surface clipboard:

This may be a metal shaving or thread inside your keyboard which makes intermittent contact (short) somewhere. Perhaps tap or pat it, but only as forcefully as you wish, to try to dislodge the problem.

I already tried another type cover keyboard. It does not work, although I have a SP3 using the typecover for the surface 4. Maybe the update caused it to no longer be recognized. I dont think it is a hardware issue, as when doing the battery drain it works again.

rodmartinelli

Hi . I have experiencing some trouble to setup my surface cover keyboard. It is a new device and has never worked. It appears in device manager as HID Keyboard but not Surface Cover . Tried to uninstall drivers and reinstall but still unsucessful. Tried to "reset" drivers by holding Volume up + Power button for 10 seconds but it has just took me to bios menu. Does anyone knows if there is a different way to reset drivers or to change HID Keyboard driver to Surface proper driver? Thanks.