What's new

SP4 - The missing pieces

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have seen the show, the published specs, the early reviews...

What did they leave out of the SP4?

Man-looking-at-the-missing-piece.png

images (3).jpg
images (4).jpg

zhenya

USB-C

This one is an unknown, but I hope they have improved the screen reflectivity and compatibility with polarized sunglasses. This is a big issue for me with the SP3.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have liked a USB-C port
USB 3.1 10 Gpbs speed and improved docking capabilities hdmi/dp over USB.
Full USB 3.1 support.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
WiGig, Gigabit wireless networking & Wireless docking.

The WiGig specification allows devices to communicate without wires at multi-gigabit speeds. It enables high performance wireless data, display and audio applications that supplement the capabilities of previous wireless LAN devices. WiGig tri-band enabled devices, which operate in the 2.4, 5 and 60 GHz bands, deliver data transfer rates up to 7 Gbit/s, about as fast as an 8 antenna 802.11ac transmission, and nearly 50 times faster than the highest 802.11n rate, while maintaining compatibility with existing Wi-Fi devices.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel, Broadcom, Realtek wireless chipset.

Something, anything other than the Marvell Wireless chipset ... It's not officially confirmed yet but I think if they had switched from the much maligned Marvell Wireless chipset they would have at least mentioned it for a token gratuitous cheer. :)

bluegrass

USB-C

This one is an unknown, but I hope they have improved the screen reflectivity and compatibility with polarized sunglasses. This is a big issue for me with the SP3.
What? I wear polarized glasses and the screen has always looked great to me.

Tsurugaya

Completely agree with zhenya, it is baffling that they didn't include USB-C, especially since they also presented a nice little docking station for Lumia utilizing USB-C.

LTE would have been nice as well. Thunderbolt instead of Mini DisplayPort would have added some flexibility as well even if it doesn't get used.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
LPDDR4 memory. Probably not a major thing but left on the table for next time :)
I'll give them props for going to the PCIe 3.0 SSD though.

Search tags for this page

missing pieces

new dock for sp3 and sp4

Members online

No members online now.