What's new

Standard charger with Surface pro 4

jerry2020

I purchased my base model Surface at Best Buy and the charger I received is a 26 or 36 watt charger. Not the larger 65 watt charger.
Is this the correct charger for the SP4?

When the tech at Best Buy opened a new box the smaller charger was inside.

It does take a long time (no specific time available) to reach a full charge.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 65w charger comes with the surface book, not the surface pro 4 if I recall correctly.

It should take about two and a half hours to charge, or something like that. Extremely fast in my opinion

brncao

It should be noted--at least with the SP4 i7 model that I have-- that the 36 W may not provide enough power if you run several devices at once while gaming. It will start pulling power from the battery slowly or not charge at all despite being plugged in. It's just pulling in more power than what the 36W power supply can supply it with. If that happens to you, contact customer support about the issue and have them send you the 65 W model.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just bought a SB and it

I just bought a SB this week, direct from MS and it didn't come with the 65 W charger. I will be buying one as it takes far to long to charge with the original.

Everything i have read suggests you should have gotten the 65w. Why not contact MS instead of going out and spending more money?

dcoplien

Everything i have read suggests you should have gotten the 65w. Why not contact MS instead of going out and spending more money?
I did ask before I bought the SB as it wasn't mentioned on the site. I was told I could buy the 65W as an option. Decided not to until I knew how long it would take to charge with the original.

dcoplien

I did ask before I bought the SB as it wasn't mentioned on the site. I was told I could buy the 65W as an option. Decided not to until I knew how long it would take to charge with the original.
I think the confusion comes from a site that prior to launch stated the SP with GPU came with a 60W charger. There is no 60W charger. I have the i7 with GPU and it came with the standard charger. Regardless of the product many pre-launch sites often make statements that are incorrect. For months I have been waiting for Canon 6d Mark II to be released. One site will speculate on the specs and then other sites take the speculation as fact and post. In this case, it's not even a "given" that the name will even be 6D Mark II.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the confusion comes from a site that prior to launch stated the SP with GPU came with a 60W charger. There is no 60W charger. I have the i7 with GPU and it came with the standard charger. Regardless of the product many pre-launch sites often make statements that are incorrect. For months I have been waiting for Canon 6d Mark II to be released. One site will speculate on the specs and then other sites take the speculation as fact and post. In this case, it's not even a "given" that the name will even be 6D Mark II.

Interestingly my comment was not based on pre-launch speculation, just anecdotal evidence from owners and also the plethora of reviews who's SB came with a 65w charger. However I just asked MS and they confirmed that the i7 dGPU ships with a 36w charger. Perhaps they changed things shortly after launch for whatever reason? Who knows.

dcoplien

Interestingly my comment was not based on pre-launch speculation, just anecdotal evidence from owners and also the plethora of reviews who's SB came with a 65w charger. However I just asked MS and they confirmed that the i7 dGPU ships with a 36w charger. Perhaps they changed things shortly after launch for whatever reason? Who knows.
It's quite possible people assumed they got the 65W charger with their SB but in fact didn't. Unless they have exceptional eyesight or a good magnifying glass, there is no way to read the text on the charger. For some reason the charger that came with my SP4 will not charge my phone but the one that came with the SB will. Since one was early release and one current, there may have been some design improvements or improved quality control.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All of the SBs we bought in November and December that had the dGPU came with the 65W PSU, the i5 w/o dGPU came with the SP4 30W.

dcoplien

All of the SBs we bought in November and December that had the dGPU came with the 65W PSU, the i5 w/o dGPU came with the SP4 30W.
Maybe it was a promo during the initial launch period. Charging the 2 batteries in the SB with the original charger takes a lifetime. I am surprised it's not standard. Quite frankly I thought it would be. Was surprised when I was told it was an option but very glad I asked. If it took that long to charge and I thought I had the 65 watt I would have thought the charger was a piece of junk.