What's new

STILL no facebook and twitter official apps

ArnoldC

I still find it usefull, you see all your notifications one you "tile". And you get a summary of the messagas. And if you "click" on a notification it prompts you to the real facebook site, and to the notification. (And if you've auto login it's a fast switch)

I agree with you, in fact it's the only app I use. I'm just replying to the question about what it can't do.

mesii23

I think people get way too caught up with needing an APP for something web based. Sure if you have a phone and want to use Facebook, an APP would be great as it would be optimized for a small display. But the Surface has one of the largest displays on the market and one of the best web browsers, so why would we want to be limited to an APP when we can have the fully functional browser version? Especially when, like ontulmora stated, you can just pin it to the start page. I for one am much more excited when an APP comes out that there is no web page for it. All that being said, Facebook touch is a pretty good experience, but I used my pinned version alot more.

Considering that I can't send a Tweet from IE without the browser crashing, I hardly call it the best experience and definitely not the best browser, slowest maybe.

I can live without a Facebook but we really need an official Twitter app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sin

Considering that I can't send a Tweet from IE without the browser crashing, I hardly call it the best experience and definitely not the best browser, slowest maybe.

I can live without a Facebook but we really need an official Twitter app.

I have not crashed IE10 yet and don't see it as slow, so not sure what's wrong there. As for an official twitter client, I don't expect much from Twitter, since their official client on Windows Phone is just terrible. Twitter has not really shown themselves to be all that good at app development and not the biggest fans of Microsoft. Maybe they will prove me wrong and I hope they do, but what's wrong with a third party twitter client. There are some rather nice ones available.

mesii23

I have not crashed IE10 yet and don't see it as slow, so not sure what's wrong there. As for an official twitter client, I don't expect much from Twitter, since their official client on Windows Phone is just terrible. Twitter has not really shown themselves to be all that good at app development and not the biggest fans of Microsoft. Maybe they will prove me wrong and I hope they do, but what's wrong with a third party twitter client. There are some rather nice ones available.

Every time I attempt to Tweet it just freezes and does nothing. Videos randomly stop playing, pages don't loaf correctly, some things only load right in the desktop version, others only on the metro side. It is simply a pain in the backside.

Nothing wrong with 3rd party clients, but all that I have tried so far suck. Twitters official apps for iphone and android work great, I know because I use them both daily. That's why I would like to see an official app

Sin

No issue posting a tweet from twitter.com from Metro IE10. Twitter's Windows Phone client doesn't compare well against the third party competition. Been that way with no effort on Twitter's part, so I have very little hope that Windows RT will change that. Until Window RT is a big enough chunk of the market share, it won't get much from either Twitter or Facebook. Microsoft could develop an app on their own again for Facebook, but it's not possible for Twitter due to their API limits.

MarcelP

There is an official Twitter app coming soon, Ballmer said that at CES. I don't think Facebook is coming out with one yet

Griff

I'm trying to use the people hub for Facebook and Twitter, but it doesn't show me posts/tweets that are older than four or five hours. Am I missing some kind of setting? Is that just the norm?

ArnoldC

I'm trying to use the people hub for Facebook and Twitter, but it doesn't show me posts/tweets that are older than four or five hours. Am I missing some kind of setting? Is that just the norm?

I have as old as the previous day, and I stopped swiping just to confirm this is not the case.