What's new

'Sup With the new Hardware Update? Made my SP Hot as a Mother...

B

BChat

I know people who install, turn off updates and never update anything. Others update only after reviewing all the updates. Other update everything automatically.
My machine, my call...your machine, your call....the right\wrong of each approach is just an opinion after all.

Aegeas

New updates always cause indexing folks. It isn't a big deal. Indexing heats up the unit. Everything goes back to normal when it finishes. The hardware update that just came out exposes additional functionality for the pen and Surface app and is not a change to anything major. Move along folks. This is not the crisis you were looking to find.

fletch33

on my desktop running 7 i havent done an update in years and runs great on my SP3 i have done every update the day they are released and it is running fine. i did have my fan running a little more after this last update when it was in dock when i updated but removed it an hour or so later and no fan issues.

wditters

Had no issues whatsoever ... and according to the readme, the only SP3 update in there was a pen settings update to support the Surface Hub app ,,,

i really dont understand some users panic over normal computer functions. there were over 40 security patches released for 8.1 (not just for the SP3) which cause fundamental changes to the operating system. These changes can take a long time to complete. If it didnt complete at full speed (hence fan coming on and a cpu workout) how long do you think they would take?

Ive said it before and ill say it again - the sp3 (all variants) has an ultrabook class processor in a 9mm shell. it will generate heat when its doing intensive things. windows updates are intensive things. it will get warm. the fan will come on. The heat has to go somewhere. If microsoft designed it to never get warm, it would be dog slow to do anything even remotely harder than web browsing.

Quit the panic, use the SP3 and dont worry when it behaves normally!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
i really dont understand some users panic over normal computer functions. there were over 40 security patches released for 8.1 (not just for the SP3) which cause fundamental changes to the operating system. These changes can take a long time to complete. If it didnt complete at full speed (hence fan coming on and a cpu workout) how long do you think they would take?

Ive said it before and ill say it again - the sp3 (all variants) has an ultrabook class processor in a 9mm shell. it will generate heat when its doing intensive things. windows updates are intensive things. it will get warm. the fan will come on. The heat has to go somewhere. If microsoft designed it to never get warm, it would be dog slow to do anything even remotely harder than web browsing.

Quit the panic, use the SP3 and dont worry when it behaves normally!
Candidates for a slower Core-M/Atom device or Antarctic Research Team. :cool: