What's new

Surface 2 storage decreasing rapidly for no reason.!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check windows update is it downloading updates?
Also if you launch Task Manager then go to performance tab you can launch Resource Monitor and the disk section should indicate what file or files are being written to by what - sort by write and expand the file column under Disk Activity.

OP
P

Pneary90

Check windows update is it downloading updates?
Also if you launch Task Manager then go to performance tab you can launch Resource Monitor and the disk section should indicate what file or files are being written to by what - sort by write and expand the file column under Disk Activity.
Oh I actually do have updates waiting to be installed. I'm going to install those and then try the resource monitor. Thank you very much!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I actually do have updates waiting to be installed. I'm going to install those and then try the resource monitor. Thank you very much!
Typically most Update Packages are cleaned after they are Applied, this could also be why Disk Cleanup wasn't being effective...

OP
P

Pneary90

Typically most Update Packages are cleaned after they are Applied, this could also be why Disk Cleanup wasn't being effective...
Ok. I am currently updating three updates that had failed before. I wonder if that was causing the problem

OP
P

Pneary90

We'll see after they are applied :)
So the updates installed and I have been testing whether the storage will go down. So far it has been ok but if the disk drive starts filling up again I think i am going to do a reset. Thank you for all of your help and support.

kundas1

Btw the S2 is a great device! While I had it I totally luved it and used it all the time and everywhere, I suggest you install splashtop so you can remotely use your desktop from your S2... it's just like using a full OS on your S2!

OP
P

Pneary90

Btw the S2 is a great device! While I had it I totally luved it and used it all the time and everywhere, I suggest you install splashtop so you can remotely use your desktop from your S2... it's just like using a full OS on your S2!
That is cool thanks! I was mostly an apple guy and was hesitant to switch over to surface. I didn't realize how awesome these tablets were and how great they were for productivity!

kundas1

Also I forgot to mention! Go to youtube and check out vids posted by Sean Ong and see all the amazing stuff you can do with the S2.. it will blow your mind! ;)