What's new

Surface 3 Basic Info

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can I use the Surface 3 just as a tablet? I am coming from a Sony Xperia Z2. I noticed that there is a "Tablet Mode", but some of the apps just take you back to the desktop environment. I have to hit the keyboard icon to pull up the on screen keyboard. I do not wish to use the Type Cover or the pen.

Thanks in advance for your response!
Yes.... but use only Modern Apps....

OP
TheAntibyte

TheAntibyte

So as mentioned after some testing I found my iPad Mini charger will charge my surface but the moment I turn it on I get the no charging but plugged in.
Also one solution for getting a second usb port is to use a USB powered USB hub and an external battery pack to power it, while this method is crude it should in theory work.
I don't think using an OTG will work, because as far as I know the micro USB port is just for charging and won't carry data, can anyone confirm this?
If you wish to use a wireless mouse simply purchase a bluetooth mouse instead and connect via bluetooth.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was told by the Surface Engineering Team that the Micro-USB is also a data connection....

DLCPhoto

So as mentioned after some testing I found my iPad Mini charger will charge my surface but the moment I turn it on I get the no charging but plugged in.
Also one solution for getting a second usb port is to use a USB powered USB hub and an external battery pack to power it, while this method is crude it should in theory work.
I don't think using an OTG will work, because as far as I know the micro USB port is just for charging and won't carry data, can anyone confirm this?
If you wish to use a wireless mouse simply purchase a bluetooth mouse instead and connect via bluetooth.

I have this USB Hub, which also has a Gigabit Ethernet port on it, and it works just fine for the devices I've tried on it, without requiring any additional power source:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGV7I9Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Also, I think I've read that an OTG adapter will work with the MicroUSB port, but it would be USB 2.0. Haven't tried it myself yet, given the hub that I use.

And I also have a Gigabyte M7700B Bluetooth Mouse which works quite well.

OP
TheAntibyte

TheAntibyte

Thats very good to know about there possibly being OTG which would be useful for when you need the extra port, I tried a cheap USB hub and didn't have much luck with my Surface 3 it kept causing it to spontaneously sleep/reboot.