What's new

Surface 3. Recommended it to me?

jrioux

Do you think that with my needs I might take another tablet / ultrabook which costs less money? (for example Asus T200)
The Surface 3 is great, but not the fastest machine out there. It's faster than the Asus 200. If you're considering the Asus 200 and live in the US, you might consider the Asus 300CHI, which has a faster chip than the Surface 3. The Microsoft Ebay store has it on sale for only $499.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251988232111?catId=58058&item=251988232111&rmvSB=true&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

jrioux

But the Asus T300 chi is a beast as in beastly weight and size.
Well, the T300's tablet alone weighs less than the SP3 even though it has a larger screen. For some people an extra pound or so is worth the trade off to get a much faster processor, a faster drive, twice the RAM and twice the storage while also saving $130.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll say it again, but speaking as a student myself, onenote and the pen has been the most important and useful tool at my disposal this past year while at university. The idea of pens and paper and ring binders and dividers seems a truly barbaric concept now. I pity those who have to go through such an ordeal :) They could release a quad core i7 16gb NVidia titan surface 3 for $500 and I wouldn't buy it for university if it didn't have active digitizer.

lookingforward

If you reside in the US, consider the Costco keyboard pen bundle for $700. That's what i went for and I love it. I know your budget is tight, but the 128GB model is definitely worth it. Windows uses 2GB just loading the most basic apps. You will want some computing head room and the extra storage space. There are so many Surface exclusive features that i adore. The 3:2 aspect ratio alone is something I wouldn't trade for an Asus Chi.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, you do know students get 10% off right? Or is that just specific countries like the UK?

OP
T

Tech15

Thank you all for the advice.

I live in Italy.

I'm almost convinced to buy Surface 3 64gb and 2gb of ram.
If you are agree, I buy it.
(I fear that 2GB are few. I was told that Surface 3 has the most powerful processor with 4GB of Asus T200, and then Surface 3 works best. it is true or a lie?)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you all for the advice.

I live in Italy.

I'm almost convinced to buy Surface 3 64gb and 2gb of ram.
If you are agree, I buy it.
(I fear that 2GB are few. I was told that Surface 3 has the most powerful processor with 4GB of Asus T200, and then Surface 3 works best. it is true or a lie?)
You haven't given us enough information to tell you if it is the best, are you planning on using the Pen to take notes or draw? Are you wanting to game on it? If so, which ones? Do you have a preference towards power or size and weight?

I use my S3 as the device I take to client and internal meetings to take notes and do presentations, at my desk I use my S3 a pseudo 3rd monitor for reading Word Documents, Annotating PDFs, etc.

At home, the S3 is my couch surfer and e-reader. My SP3 is fro heavy lifting and my primary laptop/desktop and power tablet.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was told that Surface 3 has the most powerful processor with 4GB of Asus T200, and then Surface 3 works best. it is true or a lie?)
The Asus has an older 1.59-GHz quad-core Baytrail-T Z3795 CPU
The S3 has a newer 1.6-2.4 GHZ quad-core Cherry Trail X7 Z8700 CPU which is currently Intel's most powerful Atom CPU. The Graphics capabilities of the Z8700 are significantly better than the Z3795 with 16 execution units vs 4.

cmergel

I have the SP3 i7 (256GB) as my main work machine and I have the S3 (2GB/64GB) as my companion device. I love using the S3 as my OneNote "yellow pad" for taking notes, light office work (word, excel, and outlook), and a couch surfer as Jeff mentioned previously. It does all that just fine. There is very little heavy lifting being done on this device, so I can't comment on that part. I think as a college student the 4GB/128GB would be sufficient to get you through your years at college. I truly love the weight and size of the S3. I hope they continue this line.

If Microsoft does a cpu/memory/ssd upgrade (bigger\better) in the next S4 I might be swayed to use as my next work machine. The 4Gb is not quite enough to replace my main work machine.

jrioux

...I fear that 2GB are few. I was told that Surface 3 has the most powerful processor with 4GB of Asus T200, and then Surface 3 works best. it is true or a lie?
Yes, the processor in the Surface 3 is much faster than the one in the T200 and 4GB is also preferable.

There is also a business version of the Surface 3 with 4GB and 64GB, plus Windows 8.1 Professional for $50 more than the 2GB version. The SKU is LC5-00001 (I have also seen it listed as LC5-00003, but think that is the 128GB version). You might check to see if a store can order this model for you.