What's new

Surface 3 Ram : 2gb or 4gb

CDG

The S3 may be "comparable" to something like an iPad Air, but I personally find the S3 noticeably slower then the newest iPad. That's my biggest problem with it. If it could at least be on par with an iPad for basic things like web browsing, I'd happily own one. I just couldn't accept it being noticeably slower for such a basic task.
Adding my 2 cents :).

Comparing the Surface 3 to an iPad is not apples to apples - no pun intended.

iPad runs an mobile OS and everything is tuned to that, including Safari. My guess is that if an iPad Air 2 was running full OSX (like the Surface is), it would be much slower, and more than likely slower than the Surface.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Adding my 2 cents :).

Comparing the Surface 3 to an iPad is not apples to apples - no pun intended.

iPad runs an mobile OS and everything is tuned to that, including Safari. My guess is that if an iPad Air 2 was running full OSX (like the Surface is), it would be much slower, and more than likely slower than the Surface.

No argument on that, but the reality is that the ipad is running a simple and optimized os, and the surface isn't, and as such despite the difference in capabilities, they appear to run roughly the same to average joe. iOS or Windows 10, I don't really mind when all i'm concerned about is the speed at which I can navigate and load up websites.

im considering the surface 3 2gb model, decided to go to bestbuy and check it out with win 10 installed... opened 4 tabs in edge, onenote, weather app, news app, task manager, fresh paint, file explorer, Microsoft store, settings, calendar and ram usage was around 84%...jumping between all these areas did not seem slow or laggy. MY usage scenario will probably be a pdf open, internet search, streaming a podcast, one note, one drive all open at once...oh and remote into servers and workstation. I have done all of this on the sp3 and an ipad air 2 ( though ipad cant multitask) I feel I can ditch the sp3 , I like the feel of the s3 in portrait mode while taking notes better...btw I have a gaming laptop so I have a high horsepower rig to do the heavy lifting so the surface 3 will be my total mobile device on the road

OP
O

ONeill29

Tanks you for all your posts. I have buy my surface 3 (2gb of RAM) one week ago and I'm very fond of this machine. 2gb is adequate for what I do and I didn't have any lag for the moment. Indeed the memory is not very big but I will buy a sdcard and try to install my apps on it. I have also a Onedrive so I'm OK on this point !

I've just questions about the battery and the power supply of the S3

:))

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tanks you for all your posts. I have buy my surface 3 (2gb of RAM) one week ago and I'm very fond of this machine. 2gb is adequate for what I do and I didn't have any lag for the moment. Indeed the memory is not very big but I will buy a sdcard and try to install my apps on it. I have also a Onedrive so I'm OK on this point !

I've just questions about the battery and the power supply of the S3

:))

Good to read some feedback from someone who actually bought the 2gb version instead of us just hypothesizing based on our experience with the 4gb model