What's new

Surface 3 Slow WIFI

TheAntibyte

Hi,
I have seen the listed thread about changing your router to G band but the problem is I can't change every router when I travel to only G channel, So are there any fixes to the slow wifi issue?

OP
TheAntibyte

TheAntibyte

Well I did the update that was released a week ago and I get 1900kb download which is the average speed for my network but I got that before updates its just weird some downloads seem super slow.
And disabling Bluetooth isn't an option as I use it for my surface pen.
I'll see if this update makes any changes.
I'm using internet explorer could this be causing any issues with slow downloads?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems the Sp3 and beyond products have constantly had some wifi problem of one kind or another.

Last night i was downloading a windows ISO via utorrent, and was getting at best 50kbs, with webpages struggling to load. Thought it was just BT throttling like the ****s they are, but restarted the machine anyway and straight upto 1500kbs, my internets limit.

With regard to changin to G, i'm probably wrong, or they may have removed the option, but yonks and yonks (i'm actually thinking like XP era) i seem to recall that under the properties of your entwork adaptors you could manually set the speed, meaning even if you're connecting to a gigabit router you could force the computer to cap it's adaptor at 100mbs

razingstorm

I was very happy with the WiFi performance until I downloaded an updated driver from WU. The driver was dated 6/4, and it installed with a system update on 6/23. The symptoms were dog slow 5ghz speeds and suddenly it couldn't find the normal networks without a lot of disabling/enabling. Many web connected apps would stop working right, even on the operational but finicky 2.4ghz band.

The solution ended up being a WiFi driver rollback to the driver dated 3/3. After the switch, WiFi went rock solid, and I disabled auto-install for updates to avoid this fun in the future.

OP
TheAntibyte

TheAntibyte

Well after the update to the system firmware I seem to be getting faster browser speeds but I did tweak my router settings so ill try downloading a file at a friends house and test.