What's new

Surface 3 - worth upgrading?

stupops

Hi guys n gals,

New here - just found you guys in a sea of windows forums. Hi. I need a little advice. Is the surface 3 worth an upgrade from the surface 2? (not pro version). Its the 64gb version. Not sure if it will be clunky on w10 as i think its got 2gb RAM.
I generally use my laptop (on w10) for my work type stuff and even streaming steam and my XB1 games.
I like the RT as its a kind of safe option and has office built in for when i am doing something simple for work. Its my go-to device for web browsing, watching video and simple gaming.There is a surface 3 for sale on a trade in at a local game store - but don't really know what I will be getting for a £150 layout it will cost me on top of the 2 that i have (it looks lovely i must admit). Thing is, that I don't want the same hassle my laptop gives me with anti virus and updates crashes etc - which is what i guess i can expect if I make the leap. Any advice appreciated. thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Surface 3 does not have the reliability of my Surface 2, not even close.

It's hard to fathom the differences given it's supposed to be the same OS albeit without the plethora of hardware and device options. If I was to speculate ID say it's the flaky x86 hardware and dynamic hardware detection that causes it to reconfigure itself when it shouldn't be. They should just bypass all that when they realize it's a Surface and go with the known configuration. Other problems are systemic and will never be solved with the current (Abort Retry Fail) approach.

stammie

Hi guys n gals,

New here - just found you guys in a sea of windows forums. Hi. I need a little advice. Is the surface 3 worth an upgrade from the surface 2? (not pro version). Its the 64gb version. Not sure if it will be clunky on w10 as i think its got 2gb RAM.
I generally use my laptop (on w10) for my work type stuff and even streaming steam and my XB1 games.
I like the RT as its a kind of safe option and has office built in for when i am doing something simple for work. Its my go-to device for web browsing, watching video and simple gaming.There is a surface 3 for sale on a trade in at a local game store - but don't really know what I will be getting for a £150 layout it will cost me on top of the 2 that i have (it looks lovely i must admit). Thing is, that I don't want the same hassle my laptop gives me with anti virus and updates crashes etc - which is what i guess i can expect if I make the leap. Any advice appreciated. thanks.

As long as it is in good condition and works a Surface 3 is definitely worth 150 quid even if its the 2GB RAM 64GB storage version.
Considering previous generation Atom based 10" tablets with 2GB RAM and only 32GB storage with crappy screens sell for more when new.
I personally would advise going for the 4GB/128GB Surface 3 but the lower specced model will perform many functions well just don't expect it to run Photoshop or encode video fast or well, but it should cope with simple games just don't expect it to handle modern PC games.
As a general use x86 based machine it will work wonders over an RT based machine.

OP
S

stupops

Well.....here I am. One day in and I must say I am hugely impressed with it. I am not sure if I would want to pay £500 odd quid for one - but defiantly worth the upgrade from the Surface 2 for £150 with a pen and type cover chucked in. Although I loved my Surface 2 (and original Surface for that matter) I have realised how restricted I was with it (although I have had more crashes since my W10 upgrade in a day than S2 had in its life!!). But this is a top piece of kit - quality. Never going to run things that are on my laptop - but some steam stuff plays flawlessly. I must also applaud Microsoft for Office 365 - ported onto the surface on the same one computer licence in minutes. XB1 streams flawlessly as well. The MS w10 'fit all' model all makes sense at the moment. Although I am going to add up what I spend on MS products and services at some point at wonder how the hell this happened!!

OP
S

stupops

I know. I think I looked at the same bundle! This was in the window of a local games exchange. Too good a bargain to pass up on. So with my Surface 2 and type cover I had to pay £150 extra. No box - but apart from that its nigh on immaculate. I have whacked a 64 gb SD card in and its all good (so far!). Loving this more and more as I use it. Little things like the extra magnet so that the keyboard is at an angle when you type. Sadly, I just think they are at the top end of the spectrum of what the masses want to pay. Cant see Surface becoming mainstream at the price they are new. Which is a shame really.