What's new

Surface Book trying to boot from SD card?

maybethistime

I thought I was having a surface moment this morning when the book took over five minutes to boot. After two retries I looked over and saw my sd micro sd adapter still inserted. There was no mirco sd installed, just the adapter. I removed the adapter and booting resumed normally. Is there a way to turn off trying to boot from sd if that is what is happening?

Cimmerian

I imagine the SD card slot qualifies as USB mass storage and un-checking it or turning off "Enable alternate boot sequence" would fix your problem if your book is in-fact trying to boot from your SD card slot for some reason. To get into the Surface UEFI simply turn off your device and hold all three buttons on top of the device (Power + up & down volume) until it brings you to a screen similar to this one:
DSC_0036.JPG

mightyfo

I imagine the SD card slot qualifies as USB mass storage and un-checking it or turning off "Enable alternate boot sequence" would fix your problem if your book is in-fact trying to boot from your SD card slot for some reason. To get into the Surface UEFI simply turn off your device and hold all three buttons on top of the device (Power + up & down volume) until it brings you to a screen similar to this one:
View attachment 7879
I have gone into UEFI settings and turned of USB Storage, Internal Storage, and PXE Network. As well as Enable alternate boot sequence. And still I get about 2 minute boot times. With the adapter in the sd card slot I get less than 30 seconds, normal I would say.
In order to even get to UEFI setting I have to take out the adapter then Volume up + Power. I have the BaseQi adapter current with no storage inside of it. I have tried both inserting the adpater after I have unchecked the boot devices the computer freezes for about 2 minutes and then I can restart. If I wait to restart and then put the adapter in after I have gotten to my desktop, anytime I shut down and then power on it still takes 2 minutes at least.
Any other ideas or thoughts?

Cimmerian

Have you tried using a different SD card adapter? Are you near a Microsoft store where you could go insert yours into another Surface Book? That is an extremely strange problem, but I would definitely start with trying to figure out if its possibly entirely the cards fault or the Surface Books fault or neither. I think I have an adapter back at home that I could pop in my book and see if I get similar symptoms, I will give it a shot when I get home from work.

mightyfo

Have you tried using a different SD card adapter? Are you near a Microsoft store where you could go insert yours into another Surface Book? That is an extremely strange problem, but I would definitely start with trying to figure out if its possibly entirely the cards fault or the Surface Books fault or neither. I think I have an adapter back at home that I could pop in my book and see if I get similar symptoms, I will give it a shot when I get home from work.
So @Cimmerian , I could have sworn I had tried another adapter which I do have. I ran quite a few off ons. What I found was if there wasn't an mSD inserted in either adapter start up times were over 3 minutes. However with a mSD inserted in either adapter my start up times were normal 15 seconds roughly. So it seems like the fix for me was to keep a mSD inserted into the baseqi adapter for normal boot up. Which is fine I guess, just strange to me that without it boots sucked. Sorta makes sense but not really.
Anyways if you do get a chance to try yourself and see what result you get both with and without an mSD card placed in the adapter that would be great. I also checked internal storage and usb storage back on in UEFI settings and start up was normal.
Again thank you very much! I probably wouldn't have tired again with another SD card adapter.

Peet

Same problem here. Using the BaseQi adapter and it seems to hang when I try to start up with an empty adapter in there. also, did you notice if the little aluminum cap on the end is unusually tight on the left side of the adapter / slot (as you are looking at it)? For $25+ I would not expect these two problems (hanging startup and sloppy manufacturing tolerances) but maybe my expectations are too high.

qLnNlcyvoIsN8X2XntINJr_R_LdukF3Kf7D4kClQLxVAUVrAPEmMzOlmG47zqwu0GL9xldoQ7tk6vgqVddC5YpJLpZrGtT3OLFR8tTWPTUFa_KpGEgQ9jMphfYrHxXu9lfvoNMJiXNGvxpZ5GfzhcEa5sOSPCjw9CmBuoKdVGFElLambO6YUXAfRZ8iJiXKQMkUdayaVzIwE6HOISq-ILbiUiMER77EA9gJaxZPOee83FR5qcaNDi04e00QenfQwon1rbVu3AOstAfqjDdhgU7nKk5ShiWnjXLI7ow9FbpWlfJL6TEdMHpTR8OA3QHmWa0Pu_Jtl3vjGrSahgb1Avyqt6NHlIiUppA6lBRiYBbQ97hacg6iadUsfPukHzyjPMiMyubjaQpVBYxBxiteduOeKajFfcfh9JkqLOhHFDMyKd95AUhSjMTnUmV08u8E0YUx_8YX3GqEIrJnux_CZ7GpBM8VFWoJX4zcI01PzvcWrHpCvntr2sJZK55tc-KuXAqkzBNMz-nDYVqLknrmGTeMRXqB9qC4Nftp2EWYWG9gaegCFLBzpyUHtRflLNcsNcYm-VJksIhvkQymVpsySwP5c_1SbyOVF=w1496-h376-no

Is the hanging at startup an MS or BaseQi problem? I would think it should start up regardless of what's in there, but also, I would expect these adapters to just be dumb shells that connect certain pads on the computer side to pads on the microsd...

Seneleron

Well, you learn something new every day... I never take out my microSD card, but after running across this thread I gave it a shot JUST to see what happens....

And whadda ya know, it's stuck on the Surface splash screen! After a hard shutdown and reinsertion of the MicroSD card it boots up completely normally.

Add one more verified report /^^