What's new

"Surface Book with Performance Base"

tanipat.pilco

We all think they should sell separately, i wonder if anyone who is early adopter to the New surface book performance base do flavor to the Surface book 1st gen owner by telling MS that they unfortunately lost their base and want to purchase the new one for replacement. Then sell it to the owner of the surface book gen1, if this able to do then i am the one who willing to buy with additional cost, going to make compensate for those who bought new one with tremendous price tag hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mva5580

I'm a bit surprised they're not selling it separately, but at the same time if they did you know it would be at an extreme markup. You'd basically be buying a battery and a 965M, and I have little doubt that it would cost A LOT more than what people would think that "should" cost.

Cobalt Wraith

We all think they should sell separately, i wonder if anyone who is early adopter to the New surface book performance base do flavor to the Surface book 1st gen owner by telling MS that they unfortunately lost their base and want to purchase the new one for replacement. Then sell it to the owner of the surface book gen1, if this able to do then i am the one who willing to buy with additional cost, going to make compensate for those who bought new one with tremendous price tag hahaha

I actually called Surface support to see if this was an option, apparently they won't even replace the case separately. Had I actually lost my base, it would apparently have been a too bad, so sad, go buy a new one situation.

I'm a bit surprised they're not selling it separately, but at the same time if they did you know it would be at an extreme markup. You'd basically be buying a battery and a 965M, and I have little doubt that it would cost A LOT more than what people would think that "should" cost.

I mentioned this in another thread actually. The main barrier I see to them selling the base separately is how grossly inflated the prices have been to fit into the premium PC space. If you compare the models the Performance Base sells for $500 more than the same tablet with the standard base, so they'd end up charging what, $800 for the base alone? Guess I can't get after my Apple fanboy friends for profit margins anymore...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Book i7 512 has been such a reliable device for me. I bought it the day it was released. I have traveled the world with it several times, and it remains my primary production machine for geophysical work. I have kept up with Insider Previews through the entire time.

I am an Apple guy, too. I like both apples and oranges.

I like the Surface Book so well, I have ordered the 1TB Surface Book with Performance Base.

Orlbuckeye

That's because they are manufactured with the without separate serial numbers. They were designed to be sold as one unit and the Surface Pro's are designed to be sold separately and identified by 2 different serial numbers. The SB warranty is for the whole device. If the clipboard is bad (under warranty) they send you a new device.

flar

That's because they are manufactured with the without separate serial numbers.

What do you mean by "without separate serial numbers"? The serial number for my base and display are different and I don't see any correlation between the numbers. I also have an old box for the original SB I had before I exchanged it and both boxes show 2 completely different serial numbers.

tarrant64

What do you mean by "without separate serial numbers"? The serial number for my base and display are different and I don't see any correlation between the numbers. I also have an old box for the original SB I had before I exchanged it and both boxes show 2 completely different serial numbers.

When you register it you only register one of those identification numbers. They aren't tracked separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orlbuckeye

What do you mean by "without separate serial numbers"? The serial number for my base and display are different and I don't see any correlation between the numbers. I also have an old box for the original SB I had before I exchanged it and both boxes show 2 completely different serial numbers.[/QUOTE

Of course they are because serial numbers are put on devices when they are manufactured. they are used to identify a specific unit. when u exchanged they sent you a different SB so it would have a different serial number. I've exchanged 2 SB's.

Megoapesnut

Yes, the base has a serial number etched on it but the clipboard/tablet has a different serial number which is NOT visible on the hardware. You have to look it up in the settings. However, it IS a different serial number from the base. Because of this serial numbers would not be an issue with selling a base separately.

Orlbuckeye

When I go to my Microsoft account it shows 1 serial number for my Surface Book. Serial number are used just like MAC addesses to identify specific devices. The Surface Book is sold and manufactured as 1 item with 1 serial number.

Surface Book
The serial number for your Surface Book is on the bottom edge of the Clipboard where it attaches to the keyboard.

f01f4650-dd39-4253-9bd1-4d120fd3bf7a.png

If you can’t read the serial number on the Clipboard, you can use the serial number on the bottom of your keyboard. Registering this serial number will automatically register the serial number on your Clipboard.

To find the serial number for your keyboard, turn the keyboard over and look for the number on the bottom next to the rubber foot.

509b3fb5-5076-4004-8c2d-93f2f30cde6f.png

Find the serial number on the packaging
e02a2c43-e918-4568-ad10-7ca68b64f5a6.png

If you still have the original packaging for your Surface, you can find the serial number on the barcode label.

Last edited: