What's new

Poll Surface coating chipping

do you have coating chips on your surface screen

• Total voters

reptilebeats

THIS IS NOT ACTUAL SCREEN CHIPPING.

hi I was wandering if anyone else has experienced kind of like surface coating chipping on there surface screen.

its impossible to see unless you smudge the screen and point a light at it and even then its hard to see, its also almost impossible to feel as well, but when using the pen you can feel the roughness as you go across it.

its not rough in general its just when you hit the slight bump, kinda like a screen coating has came away. it is slightly annoying when using the pen for drawing but I'm wandering if others have this as well because I wont send it back if they do because apart from that the device works perfect.

So grab a light, smudge it up a bit and have a look to see if you can see any of these like scrapes on the screens, I also have small holes here and there as well

Last edited:
OP
R

reptilebeats

How the hell would you chip your screen?
I didn't, it came this way, and I don't know exactly what it is.

its kinda like surface coating chipping, its impossible to notice unless you use a pen, and then you can feel a slight bit of roughness in random areas where there's a few kinda chipping.

If I knew what it exactly was I would see if there was a way to fix it, but they don't get bigger or anything, very odd

OP
R

reptilebeats

How have you been cleaning your screen?
Ive had it for 3 days, only released on the 28th in uk. noticed it the second day after I had finished installing all the software. So I haven't cleaned it. Only noticed it when I used the pen to start drawing.
Niggling me as that's the sole reason I got it.

When I do clean anything I use a small cloth I use on my camera lens and what not, hell my iPhone 4 has lasted since its release with only a couple minor scratches. I like to keep my stuff in good condition for resale. Never use protectors though as I find they just ruin the experience for me.

OP
R

reptilebeats

Ive had it for 3 days, only released on the 28th in uk. noticed it the second day after I had finished installing all the software. So I haven't cleaned it. Only noticed it when I used the pen to start drawing.
Niggling me as that's the sole reason I got it.

When I do clean anything I use a small cloth I use on my camera lens and what not, hell my iPhone 4 has lasted since its release with only a couple minor scratches. I like to keep my stuff in good condition for resale. Never use protectors though as I find they just ruin the experience for me.

Also this hasn't left the house once since my software takes me a good couple days to download and install.

kundas1

wow I hope they won't try to give you trouble if you return it... looks like some sort of coating defect..

OP
R

reptilebeats

I'll post another picture of it tomorrow, but its looking like I will send it back for a new exchange, I will not accept a refurbished model though or a repair seeing as I haven't had it long

OP
R

reptilebeats

wow I hope they won't try to give you trouble if you return it... looks like some sort of coating defect..
They better not as I have to send it off, if they do I will just ask for a refund and wait for my shops to get them in locally. Shame cos its AWSOME

jtuck82

I had this same problem with my i5/128gb and then I decided to exchange it and ended up with one that had other problems. The screen was separating at the top from the casing and it also ended up with the chipping areas. I went through like 3 different ones and the last one I decided I wanted the i5/256 and I haven't had any issues and no chipping and its awesome!