What's new

Surface Pro 2.5?

OP
S

SteveBorough

Maybe so but going from 1.6 to 1.9 is 20% no matter how you look at it and if you guys don't want it then I know I sure do!:cool2:

Hopefully my ongoing fiasco with getting a replacement is a blessing in disguise as I am now aware of the hardware bump and will request this model specifically when I finally get through to someone at MS who has a clue.

jollywombat

Base clock is somewhat misleading as the multiplier is allowed to go down to 8x when idle/not doing intensive tasks, so just like before, the at rest bottom limit is 800mhz. What will affect the battery is the top end of 2.5ghz vs the 2.3, or the 2.9ghz turbo for single core vs the 2.6 it was previously. So when performing intensive tasks that actually use full CPU/GPU, then it will consume extra power because of the higher clock speed.

eelpout

those with the 4300u, any indication on the packaging: box, labels etc. that it had a different SKU or part #?

jollywombat

those with the 4300u, any indication on the packaging: box, labels etc. that it had a different SKU or part #?

I have both boxes still. Model number and SKU remain the same between both versions. Serial number and lot number are the only changes between the boxes, everything else is identical.

Knuck111

Just checked my SP2 bought on December 30th. It is the i5-4300. Perhaps there was a shortage of the i5-4200 chips or Intel simply replaced them with the i5-4300 chip. Microsoft was reported to have production issues so perhaps now they are forced to use the faster chip. Couldn't find any literature on power requirement differences between the two. Would be interested to know.

Ruffles

Has anyone seen the i5-4300 in a 4GB machine (ie the 64GB and 128GB models) or is the bump only on the 8GB machines (ie the 256GB and 512GB models)?

Genie

I ended up returning Surface 2 Pro 256GB due to firmware update totally screwing up my surface. Since new fresh batch is always coming in I was just wondering if anyone had bought recently and checked to see if it has newer CPU?

I'm trying to find out all new batches have newer CPU and if it isn't if it's possible to find out through serial #.