What's new

Surface Pro 2.5?

Dahnark

It's a joke? I am going to do a rma when I finish my exams. First owners of this surface pro 2 are betatesters of poorly software (bad Firmware update) and now changing the hardware too...

mtalinm

so here;s what to do

if you hold the SP2 in portrait mode and hold it tightly with the thumb of your left hand, you will notice some "give" in the screen.

this happened to my first SP2, and when I took it back to the MSFT store, they apologized profusely and replaced it on the spot. that was about a month ago.

something tells me that my current SP2 might develop this problem as well...

MickeyLittle

if you hold the SP2 in portrait mode and hold it tightly with the thumb of your left hand, you will notice some "give" in the screen.

this happened to my first SP2, and when I took it back to the MSFT store, they apologized profusely and replaced it on the spot. that was about a month ago.

something tells me that my current SP2 might develop this problem as well...

I'm not sure I will ever hold it much in portrait mode and whenever I do I don't see myself squeezing tightly enough to try what you've found.

mennogreg

Though I don't like changing the hardware better than anybody else, I think it's important to keep it in perspective. According to this comparison: Intel Core i5 4300U vs 4200U

the differences are pretty small, and most users are unlikely to see much of a difference. I have over 85 processes running according to Task Manager (Avid Media Composer, Photoshop CC, a few IE windows, Mail, Viber, a couple of games, etc) and I haven't shut down or restarted in a least two weeks, and the CPU on my Surface Pro 2 (4200) has handled it all without any serious lagging. I can see the processor difference playing a role in those who do heavy CPU workloads/serious video encoding work (as time is money) or those who play the latest games (in the latter case though, the GPU will be a far more limiting factor than the CPU).

jollywombat

I'm not sure I will ever hold it much in portrait mode and whenever I do I don't see myself squeezing tightly enough to try what you've found.

Typically this requires very little force to detect. Just lightly squeeze the bezel around where the webcam is between your thumb and forefinger and you will see if the display retention glue is not solid by feeling a little give and hearing it creak/squeak. Upon purchase of my SP2 originally I had a very minor amount of this just in the center, but didnt mind it. After the prolonged overheating due to it turning itself on from the december update however, almost the entire top of the bezel was creaking due the weakening of the glue from the heat.

Knuck111

Also reported here: Microsoft upgrades the processor on the Surface Pro 2 | TweakTown
and here: Microsoft bumped Surface Pro 2 specs two months after launch | MobileSyrup.com
and here: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 gets sneaky CPU upgrade | bit-tech.net
and here: Microsoft quietly upgrades the Surface Pro 2's CPU - TechSpot
and here: Microsoft Quietly Upgrades the Surface Pro 2 Processor
and here: Microsoft upgrades Surface Pro 2 processor for performance boost - IT News from V3.co.uk

Looks like there were a few more changes:
The Turbo clocks have been increased as a result, increasing from 2.6GHz to 2.9GHz. Microsoft didn't stop there either, where it also cranked the built-in Intel HD Graphics 4400 chip from 1.0GHz to 1.1GHz. Microsoft was able to do this all while keeping its 15W TDP in check, which is nice to see. There are also some new CPU features that should be mentioned, too: vPro, VT-d, TSX-NI, Trusted Execution Technology and a few other enterprise-related goodies.
Read more at Microsoft upgrades the processor on the Surface Pro 2 | TweakTown

Last edited:

bluegrass

God damn. It looks like our 2 month old tablet is outdated already...

Don't worry about it. No matter when you buy a technology product, something new and better comes out a week or two later. I can't believe all the people that notice these little details. I haven't looked at the system hardware or whatever they looked at to find out what CPU chip they had. I haven't looked at those specs since I purchased my Surface. Screw those little details; just enjoy and be happy with what you have. I'm just happy for what it does and not what it doesn't.

Last edited: