What's new

Surface pro 3 cracked casing above camera

Erilyon

Hi,

I bought my SP3 in august 2014, a little over a year ago. An recently I noticed a little crack in the plastic just above my camera.

This is strange since I never dropped my surface and I always carried it in a protective house inside a laptop bag.

I was wondering if any of you had observed a similar behavior ? And if you would know if the Microsoft store would accept a warranty claim on it ?
IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

Another strange behavior is that when I move my surface horizontally or vertically when the fan is on, I hear some sort of short rattling (when the surface transition from one orientation to the other), like if the fan scrapped on something. Is that a normal behavior ?

Thanks for any input/help you can provide :)

Last edited:

PhysicalEd

I have exactly the same crack, in exactly the same place. It's amazing really. I think that top rail is plastic for antennas or something. What I decided happened was that there was just enough flexibility in my laptop bag that banging against my hip during normal walking was able to flex the Surface just enough to crack the plastic. I was disappointed, but not worth exchanging in my opinion.

Now seeing that yours has done the same thing makes me think this is a flaw in the device, like the plastic was inserted stressed or something.

I don't have the rattle from the fan you describe. If you shake it with the power off do you hear anything?

Johnny365

There is fan rattle, but that's normal. It isn't secured with steel beams afterall. It can be replicated on anyone's device. When the fan is on high speeds, shake your SP3 in different directions and you'll hear it catch on the spinning axis point.

Tumelar

I think it's a common problem with the Surface Pro 3.

Just look at mine :'(
4EMA7q6.jpg

I hope that the crack above camera won't spread and will remain just a small aesthetic inconvenience.

lostfields

I got the exact same crack at the same place as you. I did notice it now for a few days ago, as it has cracked all the way up. I think I can remember a tiny tiny crack like the last picture some months ago but has now gotten bigger.

Attachments

• WP_20170202_20_50_22_Pro 1.jpg
    WP_20170202_20_50_22_Pro 1.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 561

lostfields

I wanted to let you know that I got a replacement after using my warranty. First, they said it wasn't covered by warranty, but after a few mails they did let me send it in so they could take a look at the issue without charging me $400 or so.

I did print out this thread and included it in the package and sent it off. After a week I had a replacement.

Good service at last, but it was a hard time convincing them to take a look at it without charging for it, because this kind of damage is actually considered as user fault.