What's new

Surface Pro 3 i3 64GB HEAT during normal activity and warranty date

SurfaceHeater

Hi guys i'm going crazy.

I've bought a new Surface pro 3 in Italy where i live.

It's always Hot in the upper right corner on the back of the surface. The fan is always on. The crazy thing is that this hot surface is caused by just browsing on internet and doing anything else.

For example, if i just look at mails on the stock microsoft program, in 5 minutes the surface become hot and you can't hang on your lap anymore, it makes you sweat!

If i look at videos you can imagine that the fan become loud, surface go over 55°C and the screen become untouchable. This is so bad, if i want to use my surface to sketch, for example with FRESHPAINT the stock application that windows built in surface pro 3 it's impossible! Your hand will be hurted by the hot screen...

Pls guys tell me if you experience the same situation...

Just to be clear nowadays in italy we have around 30°C home.

I've tried everything to solve, unactivating the defender, unactivating the scheduled tasks, unactivating the maintance, i unactivated the microsoft graphic effects too, but with no results!

If you try to play a game. i promise, you can simply cook eggs on my surface back... Over 80 degrees and throttling...

Anyone else has this problem? Is my surface defective or this is the normality?

Ps. If i try to register my surface on microsoft support it says that my warranty it's until 2/18/16 but that's not correct, i bought on may, in addition, it says that my technical supports expired, WHY??? Do you notice the same thing?

THANKS

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the i5 version, and sure it can get hot and loud, but definately not hot enough for it to hurt me, or make me sweat, or for me not to be able to rest my palm on the screen when inking.

How long have you had the surface? It will typically take a day or two to sort out indexing and such before it calms down. Simply running a browser and reading a website should not be causing the fan to kick up, especially with the i3 model. That said, there are certain websites which are just terribly coded and will tax your machine a LOT, e.g Engadget. If i try to read a long comments section on that site, my machine will often just lock up.

With regard to the warranty and technicall support, i have seen issues with the date on my MS account page, but i got on live chat with MS and they sorted it all out.

Telstar1948

Frankly, I would exchange the SP3 under warranty. Having said that, you probably should reset your device first to see if that clears the issues you've reported. If not, exchange it.

OP
S

SurfaceHeater

How long have you had the surface? It will typically take a day or two to sort out indexing and such before it calms down. Simply running a browser and reading a website should not be causing the fan to kick up, especially with the i3 model. That said, there are certain websites which are just terribly coded and will tax your machine a LOT, e.g Engadget. If i try to read a long comments section on that site, my machine will often just lock up.

SOmeone told me that o ne of the most important problem with surface is Google chrome.

I unistalled it and i'm trying To use internet Explorer as Someone suggested. It seems lime it's not chat hot as before... Anyway if could be useful i can say chat if i see video streaming on web My CPU Go over 75%. If i download the same video and i see it with VLC i world nave 15% CPU usage, but it's hot anyway.

What's Your temperature when you try To see 5 min of video?

Have you monitored Your temperatures (Celsius scale) durino the usage?

With regard to the warranty and technicall support, i have seen issues with the date on my MS account page, but i got on live chat with MS and they sorted it all out.

So i'ts a known bug? I Just nave To speak with MS support To male it solved?

Frankly, I would exchange the SP3 under warranty. Having said that, you probably should reset your device first to see if that clears the issues you've reported. If not, exchange it.

I'm not sure that's a problem of My surface bug i think that's a common problem. I Just wanna understand this Point!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
SOmeone told me that o ne of the most important problem with surface is Google chrome.

I unistalled it and i'm trying To use internet Explorer as Someone suggested. It seems lime it's not chat hot as before... Anyway if could be useful i can say chat if i see video streaming on web My CPU Go over 75%. If i download the same video and i see it with VLC i world nave 15% CPU usage, but it's hot anyway.

What's Your temperature when you try To see 5 min of video?

Have you monitored Your temperatures (Celsius scale) durino the usage?

So i'ts a known bug? I Just nave To speak with MS support To male it solved?

I'm not sure that's a problem of My surface bug i think that's a common problem. I Just wanna understand this Point!

With regard to warranty, it is certainly something that i and others have experienced, but MS sort it out then and there. I had boguht the extended warranty but it had not been applied to my warranty info on my MS account.

with regard to streaming a video, granted i'm on windows 10 so this is not fully comparable to you, but watching an HD video on youtube had Edge using 6% cpu usage overall. Exactly the same video under Internet Explorer was 6% cpu usage, and under chrome is using 15% cpu...

OP
S

SurfaceHeater

With regard to warranty, it is certainly something that i and others have experienced, but MS sort it out then and there. I had boguht the extended warranty but it had not been applied to my warranty info on my MS account.

with regard to streaming a video, granted i'm on windows 10 so this is not fully comparable to you, but watching an HD video on youtube had Edge using 6% cpu usage overall. Exactly the same video under Internet Explorer was 6% cpu usage, and under chrome is using 15% cpu...

what about your temperature after 10 minutes of video watching At full screen?

OP
S

SurfaceHeater

7 minutes into a video on full screen (duplicated onto an HDTV as well as playing on the surface screen) and no fan at all. No idea what the temps are.

you could use core temp or CPUID HWMONITOR, bug thanks anyway for alo the info!

I Will wait for Others experience atout temps fan and cpu usage!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
you could use core temp or CPUID HWMONITOR, bug thanks anyway for alo the info!

I Will wait for Others experience atout temps fan and cpu usage!

Temps have never interested me. I just tend to go on the basis that if the fan is spinning, it's hot(ter). If my fan is not spinning, then there is no reason to look at temps :)

Johnny365

Do you have AC running? The ambient temperature in whichever room you are using it in can affect the surface pro 3 fan coming on.

Check your processes and CPU usage. Maybe there's a rouge process consuming a 1 full core of the CPU. It's summer here (can reach 30 Celsius) and fans only come out at max speed when doing "disk clean up" (core temps are throttled to 65 Celsius by BIOS throttling of the CPU to 1.9 GHz at full load, i.e. 2 cores are loaded). When watching 1080p 60FPS or 4K 24fps, fans are spinning but not very loud and surely not at maximum.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
55C is a normal operating temp for the SP3, it will kick thermal throttling at 90C until it is below 80C. Have you applied all of the Firmware Updates? Also if Chrome (especially older versions) is installed on the device it is running background processes.